De-Gasing another comment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De-Gasing another comment

I get where you are coming from Bob -- degas makes the questions pop in in thee old head. Many ways to do. The question is how long and with what? I find it easiest to rack back into the primary and then use a high speed electric powered drill (not the rechargeable one) and whirl away. Many have said to watch out for oxidation? I have fortunately not had that problem - I usually stop after 5 minutes or less- when the thick foam starts to appear? works for me. Attached are some examples--- only my way of doing it each to their own way. Bulk ageing does help -- why not in yours this time?? DAW
    Attached Files

I just don't know Daw
    I have read and heard that bulk ageing for 6 months or more would let the CO2 escape, well not in this case, this kit was bulk aged More than a year, unless I'm doing something wrong

I followed the directions (as Tim says) omitting no detail no matter how small.....

perhaps the wine isnt warm enough when I do the first degassing at stabilisation?

I will check next time....
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 13-05-2007, 08:30 AM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I would think that a very cold temperature may have some effect on the ability to degass. Just a question ---? do you have any idea how they do it at the wineries? are the stainless steel tanks put under a vacuum to degas the Hugh batch? or is another way used - Hugh stirring machine or some ki9nd of centrifugal force? (I have been on many tours through wineries and not once have they mentioned degassing? or how they did it?). One advantage of doing the degas in the primary is the greater area for the gases to be released? But there are also disadvantages. An interesting part of the home wine process. Cheers DAW

Comment

I don't think it's part of their process at all

well at least they don't seem to have de-gassing procedures, maybe because they are pumping the wine around it de-gasses naturally, or maybe I'm missing something.

I have discovered quite gassy commercial wines, that are better tasting once degassed. Decanting for an hour or so first also greatly helps in removing trapped CO2

It's a mystery DAW and a lot of winemakers tell me I am paranoid and there is no need to degass...... but when I find wine that has bulk aged over a year that still contains this much gas.....I will keep it as part of my process.

I think this is one of the reasons that people say "I don't like home made wine" it's because the stuff they have tasted has been full of CO2 perhaps, it's amazing the difference in taste (especially with fruit wines) when properly degassed.
        Last edited by lockwood1956; 14-05-2007, 09:14 AM.
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I agree the degas process works for me. I will also continue to degas all my wines; I also degas the mead that I make. Cheers DAW

Comment

Oh my... I'm afraid I am one of those chuckleheads that doesn't de-gas (unless there's a youngster around to pull a finger, that is).

Here's what I do: give everything a good vigorous stir when it finishes fermenting. A couple of days later stir it again. Then I just put an airlock on it and allow it to sit for several months. Before bottling, I filter it into a carboy and give it one last stir before bottling. My wine may not be 100% free of CO2, but it seems to not have much poof.

Come to think of it, maybe what I do is de-gassing.

On the subject of what commercial wineries do, I've never observed or heard of anyone putting a vacuum on their wine, but it really doesn't seem to be as much of a problem with barrel aged wine made from fresh grapes. For some reason, though, the kits - and red kits in particular - just seem to have a lot of CO2.

-Steve
            Steve

Comment

Oh no.....did somebody mention wines ok if in a barrel ??? the bit you spilt Bob lad must of been the only bit that was de-gassed correctly

Comment

LOL

too funny dude

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

OK all--- the next time I am on a winery tour in the Okanagan I will try and "POP" the question with the wine master; I will not ask the tour guide as they usually have a memorized gig put together and would not be prepared to answer.

Steve - Yes I think so, you have degassed "lightly' by the stirring you are doing. I also think it may have something to do with the time that they are ageing their red wines -- much longer than most home wine makers are doing? Cheers Daw

Comment

Sometimes I think I am paranpoid about it all, but then I see how much CO2 is in wine that I drink (not just mine, store bought too) and realise thaat it's an issue.

onwards and upwards.

regards
                    Bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                    X