Weights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weights?

How much does a cup weigh please? I have recipe that calls for 1/2 cup of lavender and 4 cups of sugar - is that a coffee cup or a tea cup? Need to know for a quart too please. Thanks
    Last edited by chadspad; 13-05-2007, 04:50 PM.

See here for the winesathome conversion page

using this it tells me that 1 cup weighs 8.326843 imperial ounces, but a cup of lavender will weigh much less, so its ok to use for sugar but not petals.

For flower petals I would cup your hands together and use that rather than weight.....

or if you have a metric measuring jug....1 cup is 236.5812 millilitres, fill to that level with your flowers...

hope this helps

regards
    Bob
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 13-05-2007, 05:28 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Gosh its very confusing - thanks for your help Bob!

Comment

using a cup for flowers measures volume rather than weight.....

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

You can buy measuring cups in most cookshops. They don't cost much and come in a set with quarter, third, half and full cup.
          www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

Oh thats handy to know - thanks both!

Comment

A cup here is 8 ounces. A quart is 32 ounces. These measurements are for volume, not weight.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

1 litre = 34 ounces
                1 pint = 2 cups
                1 pint = 16 ounces
                1 quart = 4 cups
                1 quart = 2 pints

5 gallons = 640 ounces, 53 x 12oz bottles, 40 x 16oz bottles and 29 x 22oz bottles.

Comment

Originally posted by DAVID View Post
                  1 litre = 34 ounces
                  1 pint = 2 cups
                  1 pint = 16 ounces
                  1 quart = 4 cups
                  1 quart = 2 pints

5 gallons = 640 ounces, 53 x 12oz bottles, 40 x 16oz bottles and 29 x 22oz bottles.

YAY!

You can see why the metric system is so logical compared to imperial...
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I agree with that statement and even agree metric is way more logical than whatever our system over here is. (retarded)

Noway in Hades are these rednecks over here ever gonna change!!!

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Hey they say it is coming? Don't hold your breath though. I was one of those brought up on the pounds and Oz's and imperial gallons etc. then it was changed to the metric system in Canada -- I can't remember when exactly - some time in the 70's? and I am still basically using the pounds and ounces most of the time although I am now getting to be able to use both much more freely. look at all the supplies at the lumber yard ? still in the old feet and inches many but throw in the metric on top of it and guess what a mix up. If our friends to the south do not change we will always be 1/2 and 1/2 ? Cheers DAW

Comment

Yea, well I have been hearing it is coming since I was in grade school in the dark ages!

That makes Bob very old!

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
                          That makes Bob very old!
                          yes it does...
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                          X