Lidl jarred cherries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lidl jarred cherries

Seeing the Lidl grape juice thread, Lidl sell 350g jars of cherries that are very tasty for 93p!!
    I think they might be in some sort of syrup and wondered if I bought £5 worth I would get a good batch of cherry wine going. I was more concerned that the fact they may be in syrup or fruit sugar that it may affact the outcome.
    Any ideas??
    Fresh cherries are too expensive !
    I LOVE MAKING WINE....JUST HATE DRINKING THE STUFF!!

Trust your hydrometer, and check the labels for preservatives, particularly pottassium sorbate, if no preservatives present, make up the must to 1 gall (or whatever quantity) and test the sg...add sugar to desired level and off you go.

do you have the kit to test acid content?
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by mr lil View Post
      Seeing the Lidl grape juice thread, Lidl sell 350g jars of cherries that are very tasty for 93p!!
      I think they might be in some sort of syrup and wondered if I bought £5 worth I would get a good batch of cherry wine going. I was more concerned that the fact they may be in syrup or fruit sugar that it may affact the outcome.
      Any ideas??
      I agree with what Bob's comments. In some of the tinned - jarred cherries they have dyed the juice because the natural juice from some sour cherries is clear. Make a good check of the additives in the jar or can. You can generally say that sweet cherries by themselves lack tartness but like blending with black currents or blueberries sour cherries blended with sweet cherries also seems to work well. Some people pit all the cherries before the fermentation process and others do not. If the pits are left in be careful not to crush them. But since you have tinned or jarred cherries this is already done. Cheers DAW

Comment

Marvellous stuff. I'll have a check in the shop for the ingredients and relay back to you all for more advice on this I think, if thats OK!!
        Paul

Comment

Any ideas??
          These are good to go LIL, have used them, destoned and ready to go they make a good wine with a little tlc.
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Marvellous...just the answer I was looking for. Cheers Duff.
            I did note the other day there are the odd stone here and there but not enough to cause any problems I would'nt have thought.

Comment

Erm... Word of caution here. I made a gallon from Lidl's cherries early last year. It was very bitter. I made sure there were no stones when I put it in the primary, but one or two were in the jars and I wonder if the bitterness came from them. I have put it away to bulk age in the hopes it will improve.
              Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Cherry wine seems to need more degassing than most.....

if there is CO2 present in the wine in any quantity, it will make it seem bitter, just be sure to degass properly, I'm assuming this was the cause....could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time)

regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I gave it a good shake, but maybe not enough. I'll have to dig it out and have another taste. Thanks for the tip
                  Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

The plot thickens...

Comment

So to save hassle or problems later, I'm better off removing any trace of stone?

Comment

The plot thickens...
                        see here for info on degassing.
                        Wine that is not fully degassed will not clear properly, so how can you tell when you have degassed enough? Take a sample of your wine and put it in a sample jar or small bottle, cover the end with your thumb and shake....if you get a fizzzzzzzzz as you release your thumb...your wine still has gas, it's a natural part of the

as for stones.....
                        the stones should be removed if possible, but some say it's not necessary, get them out if you can though (I think)

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Very useful....thanks Bob

Comment

Working...
                          X