Yeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast

Just a quick question about "Youngs Super Wine Yeast Compound".
    Just wondered if anyone had any particular views on this stuff. Is it good/bad for any particular wine? Or universally good/bad for all wines?
    Thanks

Universally 'BAD' ok maybe for a mead or turbo cider but not for a quality wine, and to quote the words of Bob " why spoil a potentially great wine for the sake of a 99p pkt of quality yeast". (see guy's I'm learning)
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Its OK if you have nothing else available.
      but for quality wines I much prefer to use a strain that will give me the flavour profile I require. For example if producing a plum wine Lalvin 71B-1122 or Gervin Varietal D will metabolise some of the malic acid in the plums resulting in a smoother, better balanced wine, s generic yeast cannot do this.

see here for more info on yeast strains and flavour profiles.

New to winemaking? Want simple, basic advice on which yeast strains to select? Look at this tutorial (http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=80360) first. For more comprehensive information, read on ... from Jack Kellers fantastic website http://winemaking.jackkeller.net Red Star Active Dry Yeasts

hope this answers your question

regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Hmm, just as I suspected. I'll not bother with that again then!
        Thanks for the info, I've been looking through the info on yeasts but couldn't find any info on this YSWYC anywhere. Winesathome to the rescue again!

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
          Its OK if you have nothing else available.
          but for quality wines I much prefer to use a strain that will give me the flavour profile I require. For example if producing a plum wine Lalvin 71B-1122 or Gervin Varietal D will metabolise some of the malic acid in the plums resulting in a smoother, better balanced wine, s generic yeast cannot do this.

see here for more info on yeast strains and flavour profiles.

New to winemaking? Want simple, basic advice on which yeast strains to select? Look at this tutorial (http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=80360) first. For more comprehensive information, read on ... from Jack Kellers fantastic website http://winemaking.jackkeller.net Red Star Active Dry Yeasts

hope this answers your question

regards
          Bob
          Bob -- Great Yeast run down - all on one page and click. Cheers DAW

Comment

Hi everyone, first post. I'm a complete wine making beginner, although we did have a go from a kit years ago, just made the one lot and thought it was too much hassle. Now we have the internet, information at my fingertips I'd thought I would give it another go.

Thing is, I just bought that youngs yeast today, should I not use it at all or is it fine because I'm just starting out?

Comment

Pssst tiff, it's ok to use Iv'e made many batches which have turned out fine (but shhh I didn't say that) By all means don't throw it away, as you progress with winemaking you'll start to dabble with different yeast and find which is best for a certain wine.
              Oh and welcome to the forum
              Discount Home Brew Supplies
              Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
              Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
              National Wine Judge
              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by tiff View Post
                Thing is, I just bought that youngs yeast today, should I not use it at all or is it fine because I'm just starting out?
                hi and welcome aboard,you new yeast will work out fine, it's just that........well........I'm a yeast snob

happy winemaking
                regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Phew, thats ok then. Nothing wrong with being perfectionists. Think I'll have to start a new thread with my other questions instead of hijacking this one.

Comment

Welcome, Tiff.
                    I too use the bog standard yeast and while I wouldn't say my wines are anywhere near Bob's standards, they taste OK to me.
                    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

hi Tiff

Like you,I am a complete newbie.

Just broke my 'wine making' virginity with a Turbo Cider and a Blackberry.
                      I used a gp yeast

1. because I didnt know any better

and

2. because its all thats available in the town where I live. (there's more homebrew shops on the moon than there is in Scunny)

The experts on here (remembering an Ex is a 'has been' and a spurt is a drip under pressure),will put you right
                      I wish I was a glow worm
                      Cos a glow worm's never glum
                      It's hard to be unhappy
                      When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

Lol

Think I will go for it tomorrow, I have loads of elderberries in the freezer and sloes. Will probably go and pick a load of blackberries then see what I can do with them when I get home. I have 4 demijohns at the moment donated from freecycle. Might as well get them all going I reckon.

Comment

Bob has standards?

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Rofl
                            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
                              Bob has standards?

haha
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                              X