Winemaker Magazine top 100 kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winemaker Magazine top 100 kits

I just got my new issue of WM and the best kit according to their panel of judges was an Orchard Breezin' Kiwi Melon Pinot Grigio.

Althouogh I think that this is a nice summer cooler, I doubt it is the best wine kit available. There were 99 others deemed not as good, and of course hundreds that didn't make the list.

A very good Selections Luna Rossa came in at 95. Yikes.

Of course, this is just my humble opinion, and i certainly mean no disrespect for "Mist" type wine drinkers. Okay,double yikes.

I will try and post the top 10 later on. I have made two kits in the top 10. I would make one of them again.

R

Very interesting! Looking forward to see what "they" said and what you say!
    Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
    Twitter: VirtualWineO
    Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

In 2nd place was the WinExpert limited edition Petit Verdot

a fantastic kit, that i have taken many prizes with.
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Here are the top ten results:

1. RJ Spagnols Orchard Breezin’ Kiwi Melon Pinot Grigio

2. Winexpert Selections Limited Edition Austrailian Petit Verdot

3. Advintage Anniversary Edition Rosso Imperiale

4. RJ Spagnols Cellar Classic Winery Series Old Vine Zinfandel

5. Winexpert Selections Original Series Piesporter

6. RJ Spagnols Signature Series En Primeur Sicilian Syrah

7. Cellar Craft Limited Release Chilean CSC – Cabernet,Syrah, Carmenere

8. Winexpert Selections Estate Series Oregon Yamhill County Pinot Gris

9. Cellar Craft Showcase Amarone

10. Cellar Craft Porto Corinto

As luck would have it, I have made only #5 and #8 in the top 10. I have made #8 twice amd #5 once. The piesporter came with elderflowers and retained a very pronounced or distinct aroma for over a year. Maybe they don't use them anymore.

The Pinot Gris is very good, not great. But that is just me. I think the Symphony is much better.

Geez, a mist kit better than any other kit in the world? What am i missing here?

I have made more of this type of kit than any other (22), but i don't drink them. My wife likes them and other relatives seem to. Que sera sera.

Russ

Comment

The only mist type I have ever made was the Blackberry Merlot. It sucked.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

I really don't care for their selection process... whatever it is. This top 10 list doesn't make any sense.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
              I really don't care for their selection process... whatever it is. This top 10 list doesn't make any sense.
              It's all down to subjectiveness, you can enter a wine in one comp and it will win, in the next comp it might not get a mention. The Luna Rossa being placed at 95th won't put me off, can't wait to have a crack at it. I just hope that the kit makers take no notice of this listing.

As for the mist kits, I have one in mind, I need to find something that the girlies will love and one of these might fit the bill.
              National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
                As for the mist kits, I have one in mind, I need to find something that the girlies will love and one of these might fit the bill.
                I have made the WE Green Apple Reisling 20 times The ladies all love it.

Comment

Working...
                X