Any recommendations for a port kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any recommendations for a port kit?

Hi, I am thinking of making a port style desert wine for over christmas, but I wont be able to buy it untill the start of december. I only want to make one gallon. Is there any recommendations for a good port type dessert wine that can be done in 3 weeks? If they cant be done in three weeks, then any recommendations for a good kit that takes longer? ( I can always buy a bottle or two of good port and keep the bottles )
    David
    Wine making noob

I am afraid not SP to short a time for a home port wine. I think you will need at least 6 months to 1 year for a port kit and possibly even longer? There have been two port kits that have done very well at this years WineMaker International Amateur Wine Competition. One won best in show dessert wine and the other the most medals awarded to any one kit. The best in show dessert was a Cellar Craft Porto Corinto (black Currant) and the most medals by a kit was a RJ Spagnols Kit "Orange Chocolate Port (28 medals). Each kit is a 3 gallon kit and costs in the area or $80 each in Canada. Cheers --hope this helps. Pick one up and prepare it for the 2008 Christmas. DAW

Comment

Spud, I've not seen any kits for port that are just 1 gallon. Doesn't mean there aren't any though. Kenridge do a port kit, as do Winexpert, (they have also just released their ltd ed choc rasp port over here!) I believe both these kits are 11.5 litres, (2.5 imp gallons)so you'd need a half size secondary or buy 2 kits Better Bottles come in 11.5 litre size and are reasonably priced.

I did get a couple of bottles of port at Morrisons last week I think, Dow's midnight port, on offer at £5 a go. Tastes good too!

Comment

Not really a recommendation, but I did find this earlier on.

Hope the link works.

I've never used this place for any order, nor have I ever used a Butler kit. IF it was ready for xmas, I doubt it'd be at it's best...

Comment

I have had loads of stuff from them BUT the last time (and it will be the last) I ordered from them, it took a month to arrive.
          National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

I have done the Butlers kits and they are quite good, not the one Rich has a link to, I did a Hock in their kit and it was very good quality. As for the website... never used them, bought mine at M&D in Wakefield.
            Discount Home Brew Supplies
            Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
            Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Nice one that looks like it will do for me just perfectly, only takes a couple of weeks too
              David
              Wine making noob

Comment

The WinExpert port kit is good.....

it makes 11.5 litres, around £45

they have just released the chocloate raspberry port...again 11.5 litres (I have two on the go)

regards
                bob
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by SpudtheBinx View Post
                  Nice one that looks like it will do for me just perfectly, only takes a couple of weeks too

Can't wait for the review of that kit Spud! If it's ok at that price I might be tempted to have a go.

Dropped some hints to the Mother in law about the Kenridge kit I saw at Brewgenie in Hall Green. Pretty sure she went to get it

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                  just released the chocloate raspberry port...again 11.5 litres (I have two on the go)
                  Greedy when will it be ready? I'm on my way...
                  Last edited by Rich; 16-11-2007, 12:03 PM. Reason: spulling mustakes

Comment

Well thats one of the reasons I doubled the Kits up, so there would be some "samples" at Christmas time, it will be better next year, but I'm having some this year, it's at 1.030 at the minute, I will be chaptalising (adding sugar if anyone didn't know) when it reaches 1.010

regards
                    Bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

That's the one I would do, the choc raspberry or the other one I think maybe another brand is the choc orange, right Bob? I have read the literature on both, and am sure they are both great.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

My opinion is the Spagnoles Orange chocolate Port or the Cellar Craft Porto Corinto (black currant). I have them both fermenting right now. I have chaptaized both of them. The Porto Cortino seems to be the best so far at this early stage. The recommendations for this one are to rack from the primary fermenter at 1.090 to the secondary fermenter (10 days) and then at 1.030 the fermentation should be complete - at least according to the written directions. Seems a little high but I am still going through the various stages. I changed the yeast in both of them as I do not like the 1118 or the non defined yeast in the Spagnols. Cheers DAW

Comment

Port is a fortified wine from the remote vineyards in Portugal's Douro Valley. Here, in the Douro Valley, time has almost stood still. You will not find the latest wine making techniques and fancy equipment. Instead, you will find a wine industry much the way it was over a hundred years ago. Yet, in spite of it, or because of it, vintage Port is one of the world's greatest wines. Port takes its name from the city of Oporto that is situated at the mouth of the 560-mile long Rio Douro or River of Gold. Although many port-style wines are made around the world – most notably Australia, South Africa and the United States – the strict usage of the terms Port or Porto refer only to wines produced in Portugal. It is these wines that we will explore here.

For anyone interested in some port wine history click the above link. For you all in the great GB you are only a few k's from Protugal - you are all fortunate in that way. Port has to be aged! You can not expect a good port in a few months some are up to 30 years old but, who would want to drink something that age? Cheers DAW

Comment

I will! I will!

I love port. I have topped up alot of fruit wines several times before bottling with brandy of the same flavor. Peach wine-peach brandy, blackberry wine-blackberry brandy, etc. It is usually that really cheap brand of brandy.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Working...
                            X