Extra sulphite for storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra sulphite for storage?

I've got a House of Beaverdale Chardonney kit on the go and was wondering if anyone knows what the sulphite levels are likely to be on bottleing?

I know some kits recommend adding more if the wine is to be stored for anylength of time... It will probably not be drank till august at least...

The instructions dont mention it, so can i assume there will be sufficient levels with just the kits stabiliser packet?

Cheers,

Kev

Originally posted by bugle View Post
    I've got a House of Beaverdale Chardonney kit on the go and was wondering if anyone knows what the sulphite levels are likely to be on bottleing?

I know some kits recommend adding more if the wine is to be stored for anylength of time... It will probably not be drank till august at least...

The instructions dont mention it, so can i assume there will be sufficient levels with just the kits stabiliser packet?

Cheers,

Kev
    My suggestion for Metabisulphite dosage is to use a little as possible. I believe in using it before the start of fermentation especially when using fresh fruit (50ppm) -1 tablet per gallon. Then 1 Campden tablet per gallon when racking and fining(50ppm) . Then 1/2 tablet per gallon at each racking and at bottling (25ppm).

A much better way is to make a 2.5% solution by dissolving 29 grams (1oz) in one liter of cool water and then using 40 ml of this solution to an Imperial Gallon - this will give you 100 ppm per gallon.

For sure do not use more than 4 campden tabs (200 ppm) from the time of fermentation till it is bottled.

Note: much less costly to make your own solution. Also the commercial wines have much more than our home made wines and that is definately a good thing. Cheers --Hope this helps DAW

Comment

Cheers,

Kev
      Yep. as DAW explains above... Kits are designed to be kept for approx 6 months with the stabaliser provided, maybe even a year, anymore than that then you should add sulphite, as either 1 campden tablet per gallon or a sulphite solution of 5 ml per gallon mixed at 100g per litre.
      My opinion here is to add after 6 months of bulk ageing, just before bottling. Or after six months if continuing to bulk age.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I do have 5 demis' kicking about... would you say then, that i'm probably best off to age in the glass for 6 months then bottle with extra sulphite?

cheers,

kev

oh and am i right in thinking that i can't make up a suphite solution (for using in wine, not sanitising) with sodium metabisulphite (all i have at pressent), and would have to use potasium metabisulphite?

Comment

I do have 5 demis' kicking about... would you say then, that i'm probably best off to age in the glass for 6 months then bottle with extra sulphite?

cheers,

kev

oh and am i right in thinking that i can't make up a suphite solution (for using in wine, not sanitising) with sodium metabisulphite (all i have at pressent), and would have to use potasium metabisulphite?
          Ageing in glass is best if you have the ability to do so, if not then bottle when ready. Not 100% sure what the difference is between sodium met and potasium met. I use a pre mix of metabisulphate to both add as a preservative and to sanitise my equipment.

But also now I'm reading your thread more i'm unsure if you mean Potasium Sorbate and sodium metabisulphate together, please verify..... sulphite is a wine preserver come steriliser/sanitiser...sorbate is a yeast killer/stopper ?
          Last edited by Duffbeer; 09-12-2007, 09:46 PM.
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I'm pretty sure it was in one of the books i downloaded of here, saying not to use sodium metabisulphite in wines, only as a sanitiser, in wines use postasium... I'll try and find it...

Comment

I cant find where I read it in the first instance, however I did fine the following extract from wikipedia:

"Potassium metabisulfite, K2S2O5, is a white crystalline powder with a pungent sulfur odour. The main use for the chemical is as an antioxidant or chemical sterilant. It is a sulfite and is chemically very similar to sodium metabisulfite, with which it is sometimes used interchangeably. Potassium metabisulfite is generally preferred out of the two as it does not contribute sodium to the diet."

quoted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_metabisulfite

Comment

I guess this is what it was getting at, if used as a sanitiser, it will be washed away, where as if used in a must/wine it will be taken in to the body increasing sodium in the diet...

In the concentrations here I cant see any real danger... (considering its in an awful lot of foods/drinks as E223)... Well I guess that would be dependant on your wine intake!!! hick hick...

Comment

Well it seems I use potassium metabisulphate for both, 100 grams mixed with 1 ltr of water is an ideal solution, 5ml acts as 1 campden tablet. Also added to a spray bottle makes a great sanitiser.
                  National Wine Judge
                  N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                    Well it seems I use potassium metabisulphate for both, 100 grams mixed with 1 ltr of water is an ideal solution, 5ml acts as 1 campden tablet. Also added to a spray bottle makes a great sanitiser.
                    Can you just confirm, 5ml of the 10% solution? If so this is very handy!
                    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
                      Just a small note if you wish to use this as a sanitizer you can strengthen the amount (from the mixed solution described above) - my information says to make it 100 ppm to a gallon add 33 ml to one us gallon or 40 ml to an imperial gallon for 150 ppm use 50 ml/US gallon or 60 ml/ imperial gallon for 50 ppm it is 17 ml/US gallon and 20 ml/imperial gallon and for 25 ppm it is 8 ml/US gallon and 10 ml/imperial gallon. Cheers hope you are able to use this. DAW

Comment

I cant find where I read it in the first instance, however I did fine the following extract from wikipedia:

"Potassium metabisulfite, K2S2O5, is a white crystalline powder with a pungent sulfur odour. The main use for the chemical is as an antioxidant or chemical sterilant. It is a sulfite and is chemically very similar to sodium metabisulfite, with which it is sometimes used interchangeably. Potassium metabisulfite is generally preferred out of the two as it does not contribute sodium to the diet."

quoted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_metabisulfite

Just a little more information on why potassium metabisulphite; it helps reduce excess acid in grape wines and it avoids adding sodium to our diets. We are no longer allowed to use sodium metabisulphite in wines made in California. I suppose this is the case in many wine making places. Most of the retail store will only stock the potassium metabisulphite. Cheers DAW

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
                          Sorry I missed this one dude, yes 5ml of the 10% solution acts as 1 campden tablet, sure beats the hell out of trying to crush tablets.
                          National Wine Judge
                          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
                          X