• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I ruined my wine?

Hi,

This is my first post.

I am glad I found this forum

I started a 6 bottle california connoisseur kit yesterday, the room was quite cool so I used a brew belt to warm it up to aid fermenting without thinking!

It was almost boiling, so is the yeast now dead? and should I get some more to add, any suggestion which yeast if this is the case? Does it have to be a wine yeast?

Thankyou.

SLIPPERZ

Slipperz;

Welcome to the forum.

Check the SG of your wine. It may be finished. If it hasn't yet reached the finishing point, give it a few days and check again.

If it is partially fermented and you have killed off the yeast, a special technique may be needed to get the fermentation going again, but we shall leave that for now. If it is needed, let us know, and we will follow up to get this one done right for you.

Cheers;

Pat

Comment

Pat, if he only started it yesterday, I wouldn't think it would be finished yet, regardless of the temperature.

Slipperz, is this your first batch of wine? It sounds to me like you might be mistaking "fermenting" for "boiling". They don't look all that different. Some fermentations can generate a lot of bubbling action.

Steve
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by P cuthbert View Post
        Slipperz;

Welcome to the forum.

Check the SG of your wine. It may be finished. If it hasn't yet reached the finishing point, give it a few days and check again.

If it is partially fermented and you have killed off the yeast, a special technique may be needed to get the fermentation going again, but we shall leave that for now. If it is needed, let us know, and we will follow up to get this one done right for you.

Cheers;

Pat
        Thanks for getting back so promptly Pat.

SG is at 1030 from 1080 that's in 24hrs. The kit asks for 1010 or less to go on to the next stage. Fingers crossed I hope it will be ok!

I will check again tomorrow for any change in SG.

SLIPPERZ

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
          Pat, if he only started it yesterday, I wouldn't think it would be finished yet, regardless of the temperature.

Slipperz, is this your first batch of wine? It sounds to me like you might be mistaking "fermenting" for "boiling". They don't look all that different. Some fermentations can generate a lot of bubbling action.

Steve
          Hi Steve,

I did a 30 bottle kit last time (turned out really well) and used the brew belt on the FV last time because I cant seem to get a room warm enough all day long , I think the brew belt is intended only for large quantities of liquid. Not 1 gallon kits!!

The wine was very very hot although I did not take a temperature. Just checked the wine and it is fizzing, I guess it must still be fermenting. I took the brew belt off a couple hours a go just to be safe.

So it may still be ok. Fingers crossed.

SLIPPERZ

Comment

If the SG's dropping it should be alright. Just keep checking.

Welcome to the forum BTW

PS. What part of the world are you from?
            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
              If the SG's dropping it should be alright. Just keep checking.

Welcome to the forum BTW

PS. What part of the world are you from?
              Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am from Lincolnshire in the UK.

Checked the SG today and it was 1007 down from 1030 yesterday.

The instructions say to move to a secondary fermenter on day 8 when sg is <1010. So shall I just move it now? Its been fermenting for only 2 days!!

Thanks

SLIPPERZ

Comment

Yep transfer to secondary under airlock.
                Discount Home Brew Supplies
                Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                National Wine Judge
                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

The brew belts are ok for 1 gallon demijohns, but you need to wrap it round 2 demijohns, in a figure 8, and have the 'spare' demi with some water in.

Welcome to the forum too!

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                    The brew belts are ok for 1 gallon demijohns, but you need to wrap it round 2 demijohns, in a figure 8, and have the 'spare' demi with some water in.

Welcome to the forum too!

Rich
                    Hi Rich, I only have 5 gallon fermenting bins at the moment. I have just transfered the wine into the secondary fermenter, hopefully I have not impaired the flavour too much.

SLIPPERZ

Comment

so, just to make sure, you have a 6 bottle kit (1 gallon) in a 5 gallon container?

Might be ok in the secondary whilst it is fermenting as it'll give off co2, but really you need to cut out the head space by putting it in 1 gallon demijohn.

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                        so, just to make sure, you have a 6 bottle kit (1 gallon) in a 5 gallon container?

Might be ok in the secondary whilst it is fermenting as it'll give off co2, but really you need to cut out the head space by putting it in 1 gallon demijohn.

Rich
                        Yes you are right in saying that.

I will be getting a 1 gallon demijohn soon. Not sure I will be doing too many 1 gallon kits, I will probably just stick to 5 gallon kits

I also have 5 gallons of Turbo Cider on the go

SLIPPERZ

Comment

Working...
                        X