Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maturing time

Hi, my first post so go easy on me!

I want to order my first wine kit but not sure which! (I'm a beer maker/drinker mostly but fancy a change)

A colleague has been making white Beaverdale kits and I've been impressed with the results, I was going to stick to this range. I'd like to make a full bodied red, Cabernet Sauvignon is my favorite but I believe this may require a long time to mature and I'm impatient

would a Shiraz produce a more drinkable wine in a shorter time or I read that the Vieux Chateau Du Roi matures quickly?

any recommendations please?

Cheers

Russ

Hi Russ,

Welcome to Wines at Home! I see you're from Evesham - lovely town. A company I used to work for had one of their offices there, across the street from the Cornwall Pasty Shop.

Anyway...

Reds will usually take longer to come around than the whites, which seem (to me) to be almost immediately drinkable. I've never made the Vieux Chateau de Roi, but the few Shiraz kits I've made start to become drinkable at about the 6-8 month mark. Zinfandel is usually even sooner, maybe 6 months.

Steve
    Steve

Comment

If it is a red you wish to make in the beaverdale range....the Barolo is good after about 3 months, but better at 6

make some wine No1 from the new winemaker series, it will give you wine to drink in 38 days, and keep you off the expensive stuff

welcome aboard
      regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Iv'e found the Magnum Cab Sauv very drinkable after 4 months...not it's best, but very enjoyable.
        Welcome Russ. Oh and I agree with the wine #1 it's soooo very drinkable early, fantastic drop
        Discount Home Brew Supplies
        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Thanks Guys

Looks like I'll have to use find some patience, good job I have beer to consume while I wait.

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
            Thanks Guys

Looks like I'll have to use find some patience, good job I have beer to consume while I wait.
            That's right Russ. Winemaking is a procrastinator's joy. And beer is made for when you're waiting for your wine.

Steve
            the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
            "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Originally posted by cpfan View Post
              That's right Russ. Winemaking is a procrastinator's joy
              yes it is Steve

however , there is now the wonder of wine No1....ready to drink in 38 days.........and it's wonderful stuff!

whoop de doop
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Hi

Which of the mail order shops stock these kits? I havn't found them yet at the one I usually buy from, might be looking in the wrong place.

Cheers

Russ

Comment

Try here for wine No.1

Beginners thread, build your skills over a series of wines, a step by step guide, to better winemaking

Rich

Comment

Thanks Rich

I was looking for a kit, will give this a go

Comment

You won't be dissapointed
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                      X