Bottle Shock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottle Shock

I have read elsewhere about wines changing drasically after bottling and then improving over a period of time. This sudden change is refered to as bottle shock and so far, I have only noticed it with my kit wines.

The Luna Rossa was fabulous at bottling time but the lovely berry type flavours went into hiding soon after. More recently I bottled a white Burgundy kit and this has suffered in a similar way, we tried a bottle last night and it was terrible.

To those of you who have experiance about this type of thing, what are your thoughts on this?
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

How do you bottle it Rich? pour in through a funnel or a bottling wand?

I'm sure I read that it takes at least 6 weeks to recover. The other part of bottle shock COULD be inserting the cork, which raises the pressure inside the bottle slightly, then that'll take a while for the pressure to stabilise across the cork (or I could just be talking ballhooks, it happens a lot.)

Either way, I try to leave mine a while after bottling, sometimes I manage it.

Rich

Comment

It truly is amazing the difference bottling can make to the taste of the wine....

As mentioned by Rich, the cork insertion, and bottling method may have an effect. Bottling under vacuum seems to improve the chances of less effect (but that could be my imagination)
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
        How do you bottle it Rich? pour in through a funnel or a bottling wand?

I'm sure I read that it takes at least 6 weeks to recover. The other part of bottle shock COULD be inserting the cork, which raises the pressure inside the bottle slightly, then that'll take a while for the pressure to stabilise across the cork (or I could just be talking ballhooks, it happens a lot.)

Either way, I try to leave mine a while after bottling, sometimes I manage it.

Rich
        I use a syphon hose when bottling and cascade the wine down the inside of the bottle to avoid splashing.

The Harris filter could be the culprit as this just sits on the dj and drops the wine in causing splashing. Looks like oxygenation has a lot to do with this issue.

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        It truly is amazing the difference bottling can make to the taste of the wine....
        Yup, I am glad you tasted that wine because I want you to try it again when it comes out of hiding/shock.
        National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

I have never bother tasting my wine prior to bottling it, and do not open a bottle until it has sat for min 5months. My question is how long does bottle shock last? 1month? 2months?

JC

Comment

Originally posted by jcnoren View Post
            I have never bother tasting my wine prior to bottling it...

This is something you should really get in the habit of doing. How else do you know whether it's ready to bottle or not, or if any last minute adjustments are required?

Winemaking is just like cooking. You have to taste it from time to time to make sure things are going as planned.
            Steve

Comment

o n w 040.jpg Here is a simple device that takes the ulage and oxidization problems away when you don't use a vacuum bottle filler. every bottle will have the right ulage and the wine does not cascade at all.
              Attached Files
              http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
                o n w 040.jpg Here is a simple device that takes the ulage and oxidization problems away when you don't use a vacuum bottle filler. every bottle will have the right ulage and the wine does not cascade at all.
                That's the same type of wand I use (except the colour of the valve part) and it does the job (not that I've bottled anything for ages though ).

It can be a slight nuisance until you get used to it, as I notice that you basically have to top right to the brim of the bottle as the removal of the wand then seems to give about the right amount of air space.

Irrespective of that, I'm saving me pennies for a vacuum bottler and I was planning to get the extra filter to go with it, so as to make the wine as clear and oxygen free as possible (unless I want to take out a BOC contract for CO2, which would give me an excuse to buy a decent MiG welder ).

regards

JtFB
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

One has to admire your logic John

Comment

I have always thought that kit makers/manufactures try to develope/sell their products so that they are relative consistant product. Manufactures have already done the testing and balancing for me so why bother to taste a "green product". I hear what you are saying and get your analogy.... but if I purchase a cake mix I do not bother to taste the uncooked dough before I bake it.

JC

Comment

I have always thought that kit makers/manufactures try to develope/sell their products so that they are relative consistant product. Manufactures have already done the testing and balancing for me so why bother to taste a "green product". I hear what you are saying and get your analogy.... but if I purchase a cake mix I do not bother to taste the uncooked dough before I bake it.

JC
                      There are too many variables when it comes to must and wine. The area the fruit is grown the yeast used the persons own cleanliness as well as the heat and humidity involved. If one gets into the habit of tasting just a wee bit then after a short time what they are looking for and along with brewing records can make a accurate guess on which adjustment is needed to get the finish they want it is more about personalizing the product and finishing the product rather than what is standard practice by the kit manufacturer.

Comment

Agreed.
                        Steve

Comment

Ok you convinced me.... will start tasting it before bottling. Not that I would know really what to do with what I find.

Ie... if it tastes too tart, I would assume it would require aging to smooth it out instead of adding sweetner of some kind. I have had 6week kits that have really changed in their flavor from month 6 to month 12 (for the better).

Aside from sweetness, what could/does one do shortly prior to bottling? Would be a little late to add additional oak? How/could you add more body?

JC

Comment

Aside from sweetness, what could/does one do shortly prior to bottling? Would be a little late to add additional oak? How/could you add more body?

JC
                            JC,

The only time it's ever too late to change anything is after it's in the bottle. Tasting just gives you the opportunity to evaluate your wine and make adjustments prior to bottling.

You mention sweetness, and that's a good point. You can also add oak at any time if you decide it needs it. With regard to body, additives like Biolees and enological tannins can improve body and mouthfeel. You can add those sort of things up to six weeks prior to bottling.

Steve
                            Steve

Comment

I hear what you are saying and get your analogy.... but if I purchase a cake mix I do not bother to taste the uncooked dough before I bake it.

JC
                              Ir i were to pay £60 for a cake mix i would certainly be tasting it at every stage.........
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X