Do i need to boil the water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do i need to boil the water?

Hello all i just went out and purchased a 30 bottle beaverdale barolo and a Carbouy.
    I was wondering, i have been told before to boil my water which was fine when i was using 1 gallon batches but its taking ages to boil - cool and fill up my primary bucket.

So does the beaverdale guys put enough chemicals in so i dont need to boil everything? or what?

P.S. i have a kettle and a gallon metal saucepan boiling and cooling water.
    Winer Swapper Extraordinaire
    Wanna swap your wine for something exciting? follow the link:

http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=2568

Do you have a limescale problem benny?

if not then im not sure you need to do anything with your water, if you are concerned then you can treat your water with a campdem tablet, to remove chloramides

regards
    Bob
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 03-09-2008, 11:40 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I recently bottled my Beaverdale Barolo. I didn't boil the water, and the wine tastes great. Actually, I think I used some boiled, cooled water to get the temperature just right for pitching, but that was probably just a kettle-full.

(dives for cover).
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

No waters fine here mate, how do you do it? do you add a campden tablet?
        Cheers matey

Comment

The water where I am is very hard and limescale in appliances, ie dish washer, washing machine etc is a problem, so I use bottled water for my wines, I've not used tap water at all while being up here, the reason being that I wouldn't drink it from the tap, so I won't use it for my wines.
          (Having said that, I never used to drink London water from the tap either!)

Currently Sainsbury's seem to do the cheapest 5 litre bottles of water, but IMHO, the extra 90 pence or so for the water is worth it to save the risk of ruining a wine and wasting all my time and effort put into making it.
          HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

I use the water direct from the tap
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Me too, and I never boil it either.
              Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Nor me and it is slightly alkaline here too but never caused a problem, as for the kit Iv'e always found 1 part boiled water to 4 parts cold gives a perfect pitching temp.
                Discount Home Brew Supplies
                Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                National Wine Judge
                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Thanks guys, i got it all sorted and chucked the old thermometer in and everything was peachy

I'll post some pics in the pics forum soon

Comment

ro

is it possale to use ro water (revers osmosis) its a very pure form of water made useing a ro filter system.

Comment

Originally posted by jay View Post
                      is it possale to use ro water (revers osmosis) its a very pure form of water made useing a ro filter system.
                      RO/Reverse Osmosis water is basically the same as distilled water.

Whereas DW has actually been heated and the steam condensed to remove particulate material and "de-mineralise" it, RO water has been forced through a very, very fine membrane type filter to remove particulates/de-mineralise it.

If you're concerned about anything that might be in tap water i.e. chlorine/chloramine (phosphate levels in some area's or even fluroide) or you're in a hard water area that has a lot of limescale (like me) or you just want to be a perfectionist about things, then distilled/de-mineralised/RO water is fine.

With most recipes there's an element of nutrient added in one form or another anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue - as far as I'm aware.

regards

JtFB
                      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                      X