Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you store yours?

Hi all

I did dabble in the art for a short while many years ago but to all intents and purposes I am a total newbie. I am starting of with a kit and have a 30 bottle California Connoisseur Merlot on its secondary fermentation. I did think about a smaller kit to start with but to be honest ‘she who must be obeyed’ would be drinking it faster than I could make it!

I only found this fantastic forum after starting the kit and having had most of my questions already answered by reading previous posts by you guys I’m left with one concern and one question. The concern is that I am using one of those Youngs plastic fermenters for the secondary fermentation (primary was done in a Youngs bucket) and from what I have read on this site there is far too much headroom for safety. Do I do anything about that at this stage (about 5 days to go) or do I hope for the best? I am awaiting the delivery of a glass carboy any day now.

My question is about storage after bottling. I hope to build up a decent sized stock so I really only have the choice of a brick built garage which obviously can get pretty cold in a Norfolk (UK) winter or a garden shed which I was thinking of insulating with polystyrene. The shed is in the sun until about 12:00 noon.

Anyone got a house with a cellar they want to sell?

Your thoughts would be very welcome.

The Youngs plasitc fermenter will be ok for secondary, provided you don't leave the wine in it for any period of time.
    For example, primary bucket ferment, rack to Youngs fermenter at about 1.015 ensuring you fit the airlock,0.996 or less stabalise, de-gas, add finings, once clear rack and bottle or rack to a d/j-carboy with minimal airspace.
    As for storage, the brick garage sounds ok, just ensure you protect from extreem temps and sudden fluctuations, bubble wrap is a good insulator.
    Welcome to wines at home
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Thanks Duffbeer, you've put my mind at rest about the fermenter. Just for info the starting SG was 1085 and it was racked to the fermenter at 1.010. Thanks also for the bubble wrap tip

Comment

As a rule of thumb kit wines are designed to work out . As long as you follow directions with out tweeking. Bottling on time after the clearing stage will prevent oxidization as long as the wine is clear. If you are going to age for a while in the demijohn then make sure to use one that is the right size or close to the right size and top up with a similar wine. Welcome to the forum.
        http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

One of my first kits was a California Connoisseur Merlot, it turned out really nice, if you can leave some for a few months they'll be evven nicer! mine didn't make it to 1 year old!

Comment

Working...
          X