Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winexpert Limited Edition tasting

Hi all;

Last night I visited a sponsored tasting in Edmonton, Alberta. On offer were "representative commercial wines" of the 2005 Winexpert Limited Editions.

As the Limited Editions are still undergoing final tweaking, the Technical Services Manager (Tim Vandergrift), had done his homework to find wines that he felt would be similar enough to the finished kit to allow informed judgement of the wines we can produce from these kits.

In addition, there were some tasting pairs with specific foods for each of the wines to enhance the experience.

The January red wine kit is "Chilean Maipo Valley Carmeniere/Cab Sauv. This was paired up with a well done beef steak. The representative wine here was: Carmen Reserve.

While this wine was very full of fruit and berry, the tannins in it were still very much undeveloped. I felt that even though it was a 2002 vintage, it was still 2 to 3 years from reaching maturity. Winexpert traditionally presents a kit with the tannins more developed in the beginning, and I suspect that this kit will be a great wine after 12 to 18 months. Definitely one on my list.

January also offers a white wine. In this case, Winexpert is plending 3 white juices to produce a private blend. California Lake County "Trio Blanca" is the name they are applying to this one.

Into this one are going the Pinot Blanc, Chenin Blanc, and Sauvignon Blanc. Unfortunately, as there is no comercial blend of these three, they had to go with "second best". On offer was a BC wine: Summerhill Star Galaxy. This was paired up with green olives which rounded out the experience.

I found this to be a nice light white, suitable for drinking on its' own of a summers eve, or with nice white fish or chicken. Winexpert wuggests that this wine will develop in interesting ways as it ages. early on, one should experience a crisp zesty wine from the Sauvignon blanc. At about a year, the Chenin Bloanc will tend to cone to the fore with honey and melon. As time passes, the Pinot Blanc will present with a floral bouquet and a long lasting structure to the wine with a great finish. Tick one for us.

February will offer a California Amador County Petit Sirah/ Zinfandel. Petit Sirah is a little known grape, but it enhances the Zinfandel it is being blended with here.

Again, this is a difficult blend to find, so we were offered a Painter Bridge Zinfandel. I am sure that the Petit Sirah will only enhance and tame the fruitiness of the Zinfandel, supplying a spiciness that will compliment the Zinfandel "jam". This wine was paired up with Hersheys' Kisses, and my wife described the experience as "Chocolate Cherries". On the list for sure.

March brings a white that is little known. Along the lines of the Symphony of past years in that aspect, I suspect this will be a quiet sleeper. The Agrigento Sicilian Grillo may be the best white of the year. This is the grape that is used to make Marsala, the Sicilian dessert wine.

The colour is a brilliant golden, The bouquet is bright and lively with citrus and gentle wildflowers. The flavour is crisp and zesty with citrus and a finish of almonds. This wine was paired with grilled haddock.

The wine presented was Fuedo Arancio. Another "must do" for us.

April presents another big red. This one is Italian Piedmont Nebbiolo d'Alba.

Offered for tasting was Malgra Nebbiolo d'Alba. We had a bit of a bad experience with this one, as the sample we were offered came from a corked bottle. Initial tasting of the corked wine was a real turn off, and we came back to this about 15 minutes later. A good bottle had been opened, and the corked wine had been removed.

We found this wine to be extremely big in its presentation. The body was almost chewy. The nose was heavy with tar and licorice. The flavours experienced were heavy with spice and tannin. Cherry and licorice were very obvious and the finish was very long. This wine was paired with a hard Italian cheese, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

This is the only kit that may not find its' way onto my list. I find that it has all the subtlety of a bull in rampage. Perhaps the wine offered was a little young, and still had some way to go to develop completely.

Pat

Well done Pat!!!!

thanks for your evaluation of the wines.

Hal

Comment

Thanks for your evaluations. We don't get these wines until March - June but they always create alot of interest and usually sell out quickly (although we have just a few left of this years).
      I'm particullary waiting for the two Italians due in May & June. The Grillo will be new to me (how can I admit that?), although I would have expected it to perhaps be slightly sweeter?
      All in all there seems to be a good selection this year. Please form an orderly queue.
      www.brewgenie.com

Comment

OOOO!

do you have any of the mataro shiraz left....I missed that one

please pm/email me with cost and availability

Do I get 5% and free shipping over £65?

(shy bairns get nowt)
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks for the evaluation Pat.....great job

cant wait for ltd editions

my Corvina Classico Di Veneto w/ Crushendo estate series has just been racked to secondary

tastes yummy

regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Sorry I've only just read this message - very busy afternoon!

I will check it out and let you know tomorrow.

Regards,

Paul.
            www.brewgenie.com

Comment

Originally posted by P cuthbert View Post
              Hi all;

Last night I visited a sponsored tasting in Edmonton, Alberta. On offer were "representative commercial wines" of the 2005 Winexpert Limited Editions.

As the Limited Editions are still undergoing final tweaking, the Technical Services Manager (Tim Vandergrift), had done his homework to find wines that he felt would be similar enough to the finished kit to allow informed judgement of the wines we can produce from these kits.

In addition, there were some tasting pairs with specific foods for each of the wines to enhance the experience.

The January red wine kit is "Chilean Maipo Valley Carmeniere/Cab Sauv. This was paired up with a well done beef steak. The representative wine here was: Carmen Reserve.

While this wine was very full of fruit and berry, the tannins in it were still very much undeveloped. I felt that even though it was a 2002 vintage, it was still 2 to 3 years from reaching maturity. Winexpert traditionally presents a kit with the tannins more developed in the beginning, and I suspect that this kit will be a great wine after 12 to 18 months. Definitely one on my list.

January also offers a white wine. In this case, Winexpert is plending 3 white juices to produce a private blend. California Lake County "Trio Blanca" is the name they are applying to this one.

Into this one are going the Pinot Blanc, Chenin Blanc, and Sauvignon Blanc. Unfortunately, as there is no comercial blend of these three, they had to go with "second best". On offer was a BC wine: Summerhill Star Galaxy. This was paired up with green olives which rounded out the experience.

I found this to be a nice light white, suitable for drinking on its' own of a summers eve, or with nice white fish or chicken. Winexpert wuggests that this wine will develop in interesting ways as it ages. early on, one should experience a crisp zesty wine from the Sauvignon blanc. At about a year, the Chenin Bloanc will tend to cone to the fore with honey and melon. As time passes, the Pinot Blanc will present with a floral bouquet and a long lasting structure to the wine with a great finish. Tick one for us.

February will offer a California Amador County Petit Sirah/ Zinfandel. Petit Sirah is a little known grape, but it enhances the Zinfandel it is being blended with here.

Again, this is a difficult blend to find, so we were offered a Painter Bridge Zinfandel. I am sure that the Petit Sirah will only enhance and tame the fruitiness of the Zinfandel, supplying a spiciness that will compliment the Zinfandel "jam". This wine was paired up with Hersheys' Kisses, and my wife described the experience as "Chocolate Cherries". On the list for sure.

March brings a white that is little known. Along the lines of the Symphony of past years in that aspect, I suspect this will be a quiet sleeper. The Agrigento Sicilian Grillo may be the best white of the year. This is the grape that is used to make Marsala, the Sicilian dessert wine.

The colour is a brilliant golden, The bouquet is bright and lively with citrus and gentle wildflowers. The flavour is crisp and zesty with citrus and a finish of almonds. This wine was paired with grilled haddock.

The wine presented was Fuedo Arancio. Another "must do" for us.

April presents another big red. This one is Italian Piedmont Nebbiolo d'Alba.

Offered for tasting was Malgra Nebbiolo d'Alba. We had a bit of a bad experience with this one, as the sample we were offered came from a corked bottle. Initial tasting of the corked wine was a real turn off, and we came back to this about 15 minutes later. A good bottle had been opened, and the corked wine had been removed.

We found this wine to be extremely big in its presentation. The body was almost chewy. The nose was heavy with tar and licorice. The flavours experienced were heavy with spice and tannin. Cherry and licorice were very obvious and the finish was very long. This wine was paired with a hard Italian cheese, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

This is the only kit that may not find its' way onto my list. I find that it has all the subtlety of a bull in rampage. Perhaps the wine offered was a little young, and still had some way to go to develop completely.

Pat

Glad you enjoyed the proceedings.. DAW

Comment

Working...
              X