Instructions or Hydrometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instructions or Hydrometer

As a newbie I have now done a couple of kits (a California Connoisseur Merlot and a Kenridge Cab Sauv) plus a wine No.1. I have read in another post that it is important to follow the kit instructions closely as they have been rigorously tested to produce best results. However I have noticed that with both the kits I have tried so far that they have fermented out much more quickly than the instructions suggest. For example the Kenridge started at 1.090 and was left in primary for 7 days as per instructions and then racked. The instructions target sg on first rack is <1.010 but mine was actually <0.995 i.e. damn near finished!

In the future do you guys suggest I stick to instructions or follow my friend the hydrometer.

IMHO stick to the instructions but bear in mind that the ambient conditions (temperature etc.) will determine the speed any wine will ferment. In your case you have obviously got an environment the yeasties really liked so they have worked harder and quicker for you.
    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I totally agree with Mamgiowl, for kit wines use their instructions, and for your own recipe wines use your hydrometer.
      HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

I would follow the instructions, but use the times in the instructions as a guide only. The hydrometer will tell you what is going on.

I have two Heron Bay kits on the go. Both are in the same room. Both were started at the same time. One started fermenting over a day after the other. One is much further along than the other. Both have identical instruction sheets.
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Ok, so you've followed the instructions.....

Yes, it seems that you found that it was 15 points lower than suggested in the instructions.....fine

As the others have already suggested, there could be 1001 reasons why it's fermented quite so quickly........

At .995 they still might not be finished, just pretty close to.....

So rack/syphon over into secondary/as per the instructions and leave it to finish. Whats the finishing level ? .990 or something ?

Then do the "usual" i.e. rack/clear.

regards

JtFB

p.s. if you took a little taste when it's being TX'd you'd be able to see if it tastes OK and that there's nothing wrong with it.
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Thanks for your guidance you guys. Just for info I have a place in my house where the must/wine is a pretty steady 25 c which is clearly an environment the yeasty beasties like very much. I have of course had a little sip at each racking (isn't that compulsory?) and everything tasted very good so far.

Comment

Kenco..

My experience with those two kits says finished fermenting around .992. The instructions are written to cover a LARGE rango of environments and winemakers. Your 25C environment is the high end of the range, and as a result you had a nice quick ferment. I used to find CalConn and KenRidge kits regularly down to .992 in a week at about 23C.

Steve
              the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
              "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Kenco There is nothing wrong and everything right about a quick ferment. Follow the time line instructions when making kit wines. The hydrometer will let you follow your fermentation If you are concerned with loosing the protective layer of CO2 rack to a carboy when you reach 1.010 take everything over sediments and all.Finish the ferment according to the instructions time line.
                http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

rjb222

Losing the CO2 layer was eaxactly my concern. Your idea seems sound to me. Thanks very much everone.

Comment

Working...
                  X