added stabaliser after first racking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• added stabaliser after first racking

i dont know if ive ****ed up my first kit , but i added the stabaliser after i racked the wine into a clean dj and on rereading the instrucions i should have added the stabaliser and shaken for three days.so ive carried on with the shaking before i add the finings will it be ok.
    "we need a bigger boat"

Originally posted by heeby
    i dont know if ive ****ed up my first kit , but i added the stabaliser after i racked the wine into a clean dj and on rereading the instrucions i should have added the stabaliser and shaken for three days.so ive carried on with the shaking before i add the finings will it be ok.
    ps that is not a swear word
    "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

Heeby,

Most of the kits I am familiar with say to stir after you have added the finings. If you racked before adding the finings it might not clear, or become more cloudy when they are added. What kind of kit is it?

Jeff

Comment

no jeff d my problem was that i had racked my win into another dj before adding stabaliser ,it says to shake the dj seversl times a day before adding finings (for degassing purposes i think) its a beaverdale kit
        mark
        "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

Heeby;

Let me know if I have this right.

You racked from primary to DJ, and allowed fermentation to finish.
          You racked from one DJ to another and added the K-meta and K-sorbate.
          You are shaking/stirring this wine to degas it.
          You have not yet added the clarifying agents (finings = chitosan or isinglass, or Keiselsol/isinglas).
          You are waiting until the sine is degassed before adding the finings.

If this is where you are at, then you have done a marvelous job.

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by P cuthbert
            Heeby;

Let me know if I have this right.

You racked from primary to DJ, and allowed fermentation to finish.
            You racked from one DJ to another and added the K-meta and K-sorbate.
            You are shaking/stirring this wine to degas it.
            You have not yet added the clarifying agents (finings = chitosan or isinglass, or Keiselsol/isinglas).
            You are waiting until the sine is degassed before adding the finings.

If this is where you are at, then you have done a marvelous job.

Pat
            every thing correct there pat except the first bit because its a kit it went straight into the dj until fermentation had finished .my problem was that i had transfered it from one dj to another before adding my stabaliser.and i wasn't sure if the contact with the air would damage the wine. i thought the stabaliser was to protect the wine from damage from airborne contaminants.
            thanks mark
            "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

Mark;

The stabilizers do two things. They protect the wine from bacteria and renewed fermentation, and they reduce the amount of oxidation.

Once you have the wine in the final DJ, for clearing, you will wish to keep the liquid level near the top of the DJ. About 3 to 5 cm is great.

Pat

Comment

its alll in the final stages now ive added finings and waiting 7 days then bottling and then its ready to drink but im gonna try and leave it for ay least a month before i try thanks every one everything is a bit easier to understand now thankyou, MARK
                "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

Try to leave some of it for six months, the difference is amazing.

regards
                  Bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956
                    Try to leave some of it for six months, the difference is amazing.

regards
                    Bob
                    hi bob
                    how long would it keep it bottled would it be indefinateley
                    mark
                    "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

I dont think it will keep indefinately, best at 1 to 2 years old I think.

it's taken me a while to learn the patience thing, but it helps that production has outstripped consumption.

You are in Knottingley too arent you?

I have some 6 month Old Beaverdale Barolo, I'll swap you a couple of bottles if you like.

regards
                      Bob
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                      X