Kenridge showcase shiraz not clearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenridge showcase shiraz not clearing

Fermentred down to less than 1.000 and followed instructions as always to the letter.
    Well I thought, once passed first rack left it, Had to do some DIY for her in doors, then like a fool racked again(huge mistake) now wine will not clear.
    Thought I would ask her first(so much knowledge) should I just add an off the shelf fining?

cheers

Have you de-gassed it?
    With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

How long had the sg reading been the same?

'less than 1.000' i wouldn't consider that finished unless it had been the same for some time. 0.992 or so, and stable would be finished. If it's still trying to ferment then it won't clear.

Assuming it is stable, I'd make sure it's fully degassed, then add some kwik clear 2 parts fining agent.

If you aren't in a rush, you could just leave it and rack it every 3 or 4 months and it will drop clear of it's own accord.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Pete View Post
        Fermentred down to less than 1.000 and followed instructions as always to the letter.

you had a beer that was 10 points out on the hydrometer too......

perhaps your wine (and beer) were finished and the fault is with your hydrometer, do you have more than one, and if the answer is no......have you calibrated this hydrometer?

see here for method

Your hydrometer will tell you how much potential alcohol your brew has before you start, when it is actively fermenting (specific gravity still reducing) and when it is dry (no sugar left...1.000 to 0.090) To calculate the alcohol content of your wine take the starting Specific Gravity and take away the finishing Gravity i.e.

regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I see we have the same idea. Great minds Lol
          http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Working...
          X