California connoisseur Pinot Chardonnay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California connoisseur Pinot Chardonnay

A couple of years ago I bought the above mentioned 1 gal kit rather cheap as it was about to go out of date. It went on a shelf and was forgotten about until recently.

A few days ago I dusted the kit down and decided to see if it was any good, I tipped the juice into a dj and not surprisingly it had oxidised quite badly. The juice was a very dark brown colour and smelt badly oxidised (like sherry), I added the other bits and pieces and topped it up to the required level with water. Muttering "ashes to ashes, dust to dust", in went the 1 yr out of date EC - 1118 yeast.

24 hrs later it was fermenting like mad and now, a few days down the line, the colour is more like what you would expect from a Chardonnay at this stage of fermentation. The oxidisation appears to have been driven off, I knew that fermentation would drive oxidisation off but wasn't expecting this level of response.

Success? watch this space.
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Originally posted by Richard S View Post
    A couple of years ago I bought the above mentioned 1 gal kit rather cheap as it was about to go out of date. It went on a shelf and was forgotten about until recently.

A few days ago I dusted the kit down and decided to see if it was any good, I tipped the juice into a dj and not surprisingly it had oxidised quite badly. The juice was a very dark brown colour and smelt badly oxidised (like sherry), I added the other bits and pieces and topped it up to the required level with water. Muttering "ashes to ashes, dust to dust", in went the 1 yr out of date EC - 1118 yeast.

24 hrs later it was fermenting like mad and now, a few days down the line, the colour is more like what you would expect from a Chardonnay at this stage of fermentation. The oxidisation appears to have been driven off, I knew that fermentation would drive oxidisation off but wasn't expecting this level of response.

Success? watch this space.
    top move their Richard, lots of people would have just binned it.

Not sure where or how it would have oxidised though, maybe tiny amount of air permeable plastic for the concentrate ???

Either way, well done for getting somewhere with it. If it tastes half drinkable when it's done, it's not wasted is it......

regards

jtfb
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
    X