Port Tweak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Port Tweak

Here is something i have been going to do for a while now. i started today 1 cellar classic red Port kit. Cheating i know but that is OK to. when ferment SG falls to 1.060 i will add 1 KG of frozen blueberries. My plan is to sulfite the berries and thaw them a few days before adding I will also add 1 tsp pectic enzyme to the berry's. This should act like a chapilization keeping the yeast working a bit longer but the fruit should expire the yeast before all the additional sugars are gone. I will crush and recover the juice from the left over fruit and then clear and stabilize.Check acids and bring up to 20% using a Pearson square. I also added three cups of dry coco . I hope to finish with a chocolate blueberry port that is different form what can be purchased now.
    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

There is a you tube video on draining juice from frozen fruit, prior to fermenation.

Someone will come along soon and paste the linky......(please)

This method IMO would give you a better juice to add, and give an easier substance to measure the sugar of, for your chapitalisation maths.
    Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 27-04-2010, 08:29 AM.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Whatever the method, it sounds like a good recipe to me
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
        There is a you tube video on draining juice from frozen fruit, prior to fermenation.

Someone will come along soon and paste the linky......(please)

This method IMO would give you a better juice to add, and give an easier substance to measure the sugar of, for your chapitalisation maths.
        I am thawing the fruit with 1 ML of 10% solution and 1 tsp of pectic enzyme. It will be brought out of the freezer today. This will allow time for the fruit to naturally juice and the addition will be warm enough not to shock the yeast when added.there will be enough juice to get a good SG from it for my maths. The base port started at 1.115 SG The yeast is a EC-1118 Lavin. When I normally make these kits with out the tweak for customers my numbers show that with and average starting SG of 1.115 the final SG of 0.998. Which give you a alcohol of 15.235 % . This leaves a bit of room for the chapilization sugars. ( Disclaimer: these numbers are taken by hydrometer and math formula. They are not intended to be as accurate as distillation.)
        Last edited by rjb222; 27-04-2010, 03:14 PM.
        http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Working...
        X