Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WinExpert - Stabilize and Stabilize again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinExpert - Stabilize and Stabilize again?

Excuse me if I am being a bit slow here, but I have read and re-read the instructions that came with my WinExpert Luna Rossa kit and am a little confuddled.

Section 3, step 1 tells me to mix up the supplied sachet of metabisulphite and sorbate add to the wine etc....

Then

Section 4, step 1 ends with a bold note about the low levels of sulphite in the kit compared to commercial wines and that I should add another 1.5g of mbs in 250ml water

If I am reading this correctly this does mean in addition to the mbs supplied with the kit? I am pretty sure it does, but don't want to risk messing my first premium kit up! I do want to store this wine longer than 6 months.

Thanks.

You are not stabilising again,

you are upping the dose of sulphite to protect against spoilage attack....this only applies if you are ageing the wine more than 6 months, and the amount to add is 1/4 tsp metabisulphite for 5 UK gallons

NOTE: Winexpert kits contain very low levels of sulphite compared to commercial wine. If you want to age your wine more than 6 months, you must add extra metabisulphite
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Yes, it's a tiny amount, in addition to what you've already added. Only if you are going to age them for a good time.

Comment

Thanks guys, that confirms I did read it correctly.

I am not even at that stage yet, just want to be sure! I do want to keep the bottles for a fair while (I won't get through all 30 bottles within 6 months, probably more like 12 - 24).

Comment

If you really want to enjoy the wine at its best...................dont drink ANY of it till its 1st birthday
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Is this the Luna Rosa kit? you really want to leave this sort of premium wine for at least 12 months, maybe more. I know that can't always be done, but it really does make a difference.

Comment

Blimey Bob.. You're making it look like I'm stalking you.

Comment

Yup I will have no problem leaving it, there is plenty of early drinking stuff in stock and the rate I am making wine there won't be any shortages.

It is the Luna Rossa.

cheers!

Comment

Working...
                X