Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaverdale Barolo Kit

Hi guys

I'm new here so thanks to anyone who can help me. I'm new to wine making and I'm currently making 2 Beaverdale kits, the Barolo and Pinot Grigio.

My Beaverdale Barolo is heading towards the end of fermentation but I'm a little confused on a few things.

The instructions say when first making the wine that you should put enough water in to take the level up to 4.54 litres which is way below the neck of the 1 gallon demijohn (around shoulder level) and fermentation has proceeded nicely and is starting to slow down.

I'm expecting to clear in a few days time.

However, after reading some posts on here Im worried that the demijohn should be filled up to the neck to avoid oxidation and excess air being in the demijohn.

Can anyone advise as the instructions dont call for @f-pACKs@ or any topping up whatsoever throughout the fermentation process.

I really don't want my wines spoiling though. Could there already be something in the kits to stop oxidation?

Many thanks
    Lewis

Welcome aboard Lewis.

Are you sure your demijohns are 1 gallon? I find most are around the 4.6 to 4.7 litres.

If you are using plastic fermenters they are probably 5 litres.

When I make 1 gallon Beaverdle kits, I always top up with water during fermentation, once the initial vigorous activity has died down.

If yours is reaching the end of fermentation, I would top up with Cooled Boiled Water if possible: boil some water and let it cool to room temperature before adding it to the DJ. This should kill any bugs in the water. I don't bother boiling if adding early in the fermentation because the (very active) yeast should overwhlm any nasties.

I hope this helps. If your fermenter is substantially bigger than 5 litres, post again and we'll do our best to help.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Hi

Thanks for this. My demijohns are the standard one gallon demijohns and the kit says to top up to 4.54 litres which is just above the shoulder of the demijohn. Should I now top up to the neck then? Or right up to the bung?

Will adding water not dilute the wine though as well?? I don't want a watery taste

Thanks again guys for your response.

Lewis

Comment

Provided the fermentation is not too violent, I would top up to the neck - leave an inch or so airspace below the bung.
        Pete the Instructor

Comment

Hi

Thanks again, but isn't topping up with water going to dilute and ruin the wine itself? I just really don't want a watery taste.

Have you made many Beaverdale kits and topping up like that as it doesn't state to do that in the instructions?

Many thanks
          Lewis

Comment

No. 1 gal = 4.54 litres. The DJ should be no more than around 4.7 litres. I have done over a dozen of these kits - it'll be fine
            Pete the Instructor

Comment

Hi

Thanks again for your reply.

However, Im now thinking about the degassing stage. If I top up now, when I come to degas its going to be a nightmare (im using a drill mounted stirrer and when using that it's going to create a vortex which will cause the wine to be spilling out all over the place? )

Any suggestions?!

Comment

Yes. Do you have a 2nd DJ? If so, transfer half your wine to it (after sanitising it of course), then degas each half. When you are finished, transfer it all back to one DJ.
                Last edited by goldseal; 26-10-2010, 04:01 PM.
                Pete the Instructor

Comment

As a complete non-expert Id like to add my two-pennorth.

If my DJ's are full to the neck and are liable to give a vigourous de-gas, I siphon a small amount into a clean bottle then de-gas.

I've never used a drill and wand, a Vacuvin is far cheaper, more controllable and works well (at least for me). I can pump it, leave it, then do it again when the froth has subsided.

Comment

Transferring some to one or two sanitised wine bottles would give you the required headspace. Remember to degas the wine in those bottles too .

I'd be cautious about removing wine if you are vacuum degassing. If you remove wine, you are increasing the chances of the vacuum causing the DJ to fail.
                    Pete the Instructor

Comment

Forgot where I saw the reference now but a plastic coathanger cut apart and shape modified with heat makes a very suitable de gasser for use with a cordless drill.

Well it works for me anyway.
                      Cost negligable

Comment

Working...
                      X