Cal Conn. Vs Beaverdale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cal Conn. Vs Beaverdale

Are these the same thing just in different boxes? Does one have the edge over the other?

There is very little in it price wise.....

They are similar, I used to prefer the California Connoisseur kits as they came with labels. I've made good wine from both.

Comment

Ta Rich, I know Cal Conn. have stopped giving labels away now. I also know Bob's opinion on the yeasts that Beaverdale supply (eg. bin it and use something else) and I know that Cal Conn. tend to put Lalvin yeasts in.

I was thinking about getting a couple of 6 bottle kits to try out before doing another 30. One of which will be a Cal Conn. Riesling.

Comment

From talking to people Beaverdale seem to be slightly earlier drinking, but CC kits given a bit of age are slightly better, I'm not convinced either way by this.

The CC kits looking about tend to be 1 or 2 £ more expensive.
        With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

Ta.

I decided I am gonna get a cal conn riesling and pinot noir and a beaverdale merlot. I have a cal conn shiraz in the queue already, along with a beaverdale barolo.

That'll do for now.

Comment

Realise this is an older thread but my personal findings on these two brands... I prefer the Cal Conn kits to Beaverdale. Similar price point but I have acheived better results with the CC kit, when drinking these wines at an early (under a year) age. I was particularly impressed with the Shiraz, which for the price, this kit was very quaffable
            Stuart

View My Current BrewTrax Stat's here
            BrewTrax forum discount details here

Comment

You will find that the better results were produced by the higher quality yeast supplied with the CC kit.

Ferment a beaverdale with a better yeast than the one it comes with, you will be surprised the difference it makes

regards
              bob
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Super job. thanks. At the small price of yeast, this sounds like a wise move then....
                Stuart

Comment

Especially as you can make many kits with one packet of yeast

see here

All you ever needed to know about yeast starters Extract from Progressive Winemaking Peter Duncan and Bryan Acton Yeast starters are very easy to prepare and no difficulties should be encountered if the following directions are observed. A wine bottle is first sterilised with the stock (10%) sulphite solution mentioned in

regards
                  Bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thank you sir
                    Stuart

Comment

Working...
                    X