added chitosan before kieselsol - oops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• added chitosan before kieselsol - oops

just made a bit of a balls up - got 4 x 1 gallon beaverdale kits that have all been degassed so I am adding the finings. Read the instructions wrongly and added the chitosan this morning where as the instructions say it should have been added 24 hours after the Kieselsol - is this going to result in non-clearing, and what do I do to remedy it, if anything?

I guess this is what happens when you try and do something in a rush to get on to the next task for the day.

Thanks

MIchael

I'm sure it will be fine
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I had a customer do this a while back. Allow this to drop out then rack and refine with the right order you will need to purchase new Kieselsol and Chitosan packs.Your kit will be fine no harm done.
      http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

I thought that might be the case - did a bit of reading online about how it works and didn't think it would work the wrong way round. I do have some kwik clear so I'll transfer them into new bottles and use that. One plus is that I also have two 30 gallon kits that I have just started degassing so everything should be ready to bottle next weekend - should have three weeks to age before starting to drink them at Christmas. A second plus is that I hopefully won't make the same mistake.

Cheers
        Michael

Comment

I feel like I am missing something here! Never heard of either of these
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
            I feel like I am missing something here! Never heard of either of these
            Have you used Kwik Clear before? It's the same thing. Part A is Kieselsol, part B is Chitosan.

EDIT: sorry, Kwik Clear is Kieselsol/Gelatin. KC Superkleer is Kieselsol/Chitosan. But both products work exactly the same.
            Last edited by NorthernWiner; 27-11-2010, 10:15 PM.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
              Have you used Kwik Clear before? It's the same thing. Part A is Kieselsol, part B is Chitosan.

EDIT: sorry, Kwik Clear is Kieselsol/Gelatin. KC Superkleer is Kieselsol/Chitosan. But both products work exactly the same.
              Finings. Got it. No never use them. Very very very occasionally I use egg white. 99.9% of the time, my wines clear perfectly on their own.
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I think the finings will work fine, even if they were added in the wrong order, I do not see why they wouldn't....maybe I'm missing something?
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I'm also fairly confident that it will work in the wrong order.
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                    I'm also fairly confident that it will work in the wrong order.

So, if they will work in the wrong order, whats the point in having an order ?
                    There is only 30mins between adding the first one, till the second one, so why do they not mix them and just have one lot, then you cant get the order wrong ?
                    Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

I always add Kwik clear both parts at the same time(in the right order but no time delay) and mix thoroughly after adding each part....it works just fine (pun intended)

Last edited by lockwood1956; 28-11-2010, 04:19 PM.
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

If I have understand how it works properly the first part is negatively charged and all the yeast and crap binds to it, then the second part is positively charged and binds the kieselsol and the crap and it all settles out - the correct way gives a chance for the yeast and stuff to bind before settling out where the wrong way round the chitosan and the kieselsol will bind before the yeast can and so it won't be as efficient but I think it will work.

I did manage to do one batch (a white) the right way round so when that is clear I'll look at the other 3 (all reds) and see how they look and decide if it needs further clearing. I will report back in a few days once its cleared and let you all know how it turns out

Comment

Originally posted by spritzer View Post
                          so why do they not mix them and just have one lot, then you cant get the order wrong ?
                          you can't mix them together beforehand, or they would be reacting with each other....and so would lose their effectiveness.

regards
                          Bob
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                            I always add Kwik clear both parts at the same time(in the right order but no time delay) and mix thoroughly after adding each part....it works just fine (pun intended)

Thats interesting to know... especially if you are a wee bit pressed for time

Originally posted by drmick View Post
                            If I have understand how it works properly the first part is negatively charged and all the yeast and crap binds to it, then the second part is positively charged and binds the kieselsol and the crap and it all settles out - the correct way gives a chance for the yeast and stuff to bind before settling out where the wrong way round the chitosan and the kieselsol will bind before the yeast can and so it won't be as efficient but I think it will work.

I did manage to do one batch (a white) the right way round so when that is clear I'll look at the other 3 (all reds) and see how they look and decide if it needs further clearing. I will report back in a few days once its cleared and let you all know how it turns out
                            Surely then, if you have added them the wrong way round, you could rectify this by adding only one additional dosage of chitosan, which should be last anyway

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                            you can't mix them together beforehand, or they would be reacting with each other....and so would lose their effectiveness.

regards
                            Bob
                            Ah... its all becoming clearer now
                            Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Done that a bunch of times....the end result does not have anything to suffer.

Comment

Working...
                              X