Low Temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Temps

In the instructions for Beaverdale red wine kits it says "Ferment in a warm place, 20c-25c. We would recommend you keep the temp as close to 20c as possible (but NO lower). The best quality wine will be produced at temps nearer to 20c"
    Apart from taking longer to ferment what adverse effect are lower temps likley to have on the finished wine?

This is more complex than just 'slower'.
    The optimum temperature ensures a even (steady) rate a take up of fermentable sugars during the entire fermentation process. Ensuring all sorts of good things - poly phenol wossits and some other stuff (which I would need ot look up)

Modern thinking is, to control the temp to control the sugar take up to produce better wine.

..and as far as I can see its right!
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Lower temps tend to bring and retain out more fruit flavors. Likewise, if you ferment juice too warm, you can blow off volatile esters, which contribute to the aroma.
      Steve

Comment

Incidently, I think temperature is one of those things that's vastly important in winemaking, but doesn't get near enough mention.
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
          Incidently, I think temperature is one of those things that's vastly important in winemaking, but doesn't get near enough mention.
          I've never used any heating (brew belts etc) and my wine always tastes good. Would they be much benefit in it for me? I make only white wine.

Comment

No reason for a brew belt if you only make white wine. White wine, and wine from juice in general, is better fermented at cooler temperatures (10-20C) in a closed container.

Higher temps are best for red wines, or wines macerated in fruit pulp/skins, where you need a little heat to get good extraction from the fruit.
            Steve

Comment

It's funny that, because quite brewers place a great deal of importance on temperature, beyond even the lager/ale thing.
              Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
              Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
              -Police Squad

Comment

Really really really have to agree with you on that one!
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Though don't let a ferment to get too cool/cold, because it can stop the ferment completely (recent experience as the "usual" ferment location took a hit in the recent cold weather - and no, they won't restart.....)

regards

jtfb
                  Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                  X