Ageing Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ageing Problem

No, nothing to do with my age! I've got the first of four 4.5 litre wine kits finished and I was hoping to bulk age. The problem is that after racking, clearing and racking again, I'm down to about 4 litres and that is an unacceptable gap between top of wine and the bottom of the bung in the DJ.

The question is, am I going to have to age in bottles or (without topping up as I don't really want to affect the wine even by topping up with another same grape wine) is there another way to bulk age approx 4 litres of wine.

Rob

Yup.

There is an oil italian way - pour in some olive oil - it floats on the surface and forms an airtight film.

Also available from brewland.
    Brouwland is Europe's most specialized supplier for winemakers, brewers, liqueur makers and cheese makers.

item 006.018.6

"Creates a protective layer and protects the wine against mould and oxidation. Desodourises (mould). It can be used in containers that are not completely filled (tapping demijohns), by pouring a layer of approximately 1 cm on the wine (it does NOT mix with the wine !). Also suitable to grease equipment used for the winegrowing."
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

That sounds like a good idea and I can't see why it shouldn't work. I could try it on a bottle with a little wine in it first just to give me the confidence that it works. Although it shouldn't mix, I just wonder if you could get a transfer of flavours.

Have you or anyone else tried it with ordinary olive oil?

Cheers

Rob

Comment

Is the wine completely clear? If so I'd bottle it. If its not I'd leave it a month then bottle it.

I'm sure the oil trick would work but it seems a little medievil for me and It must affect the wine, if it doesn't your at least going to lose half a bottle when racking it to avoid the oil!

Comment

I don't think I would be keen top have olive oil and my wine in the same container....

how about using smaller vessels.....if you aren't storing it for too long, PET water bottles will do the job. Or as billy says, if it is finished and clear, get it bottled.
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by billybuntus View Post
            Is the wine completely clear? If so I'd bottle it. If its not I'd leave it a month then bottle it.

I'm sure the oil trick would work but it seems a little medievil for me and It must affect the wine, if it doesn't your at least going to lose half a bottle when racking it to avoid the oil!
            I admit it sounds that way, but I have used this and it does work - well. This is after all a current product available for a big name supplier. The worse downside I had was the washing up. It gets on bl**dy everything! You loose no more than with ordinary racking. Pouring gently will ensure it floats. Taste your olive oil - something neutral (and cheap) is best - I found no taste transfer. I used to use it when working my way through 54L demijohns.

My concern would be how long is 'long term'? - too long and you would indeed be better to bottle it.
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
              I admit it sounds that way, but I have used this and it does work - well. This is after all a current product available for a big name supplier. The worse downside I had was the washing up. It gets on bl**dy everything! You loose no more than with ordinary racking. Pouring gently will ensure it floats. Taste your olive oil - something neutral (and cheap) is best - I found no taste transfer. I used to use it when working my way through 54L demijohns.

My concern would be how long is 'long term'? - too long and you would indeed be better to bottle it.
              If my life depended on it maybe I'd use oil, but until that happens I'll pass and I don't think its the best advice to hand out. Sorry if it offends.

Comment

I don't like the sound of oil at all for all the reasons mentioned above. What about using marbles? It's worked for me in the past anyway.
                Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I know a couple of Italian brothers (well, only one brother now. The other was recently deported back to Italy. ) who use the olive oil trick and swear by it. They pour it right over the top of the wine in the barrel, and then use the spigot to fill their carafes.

I can't imagine what kind of mess it leaves in the barrel, though. You'd think it would soak into the wood.

Then there's also the fact that olive oil goes rancid over time.
                  Steve

Comment

Ok I think enough of you have convinced me that perhaps the wine should be bottled. It is a Beaverdale Sauvignon Blanc and my first ever kit and I 'm hoping to age it for at least 6 months. I' ve got 4 more kits to do and I guess I will have the same problem with all of them. My main problem is a lack of bottles plus the fact that I' ve read several posts stating that it is much better to age in bulk and a couple of the red kits are going to be aged for at least 12 months.

I guess I could try finding a couple of 2lit plastic bottles but that doesn't sound any better than in glass.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm still tempted to have a go with the olive oil on a part bottle and see if it works without tainting the wine.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                      I don't like the sound of oil at all for all the reasons mentioned above. What about using marbles? It's worked for me in the past anyway.
                      Good thinking!

Comment

Originally posted by robwrx View Post
                        My main problem is a lack of bottles plus the fact that I' ve read several posts stating that it is much better to age in bulk and a couple of the red kits are going to be aged for at least 12 months.
                        Don't worry to much about ageing in bulk your wine will be fine in bottles providing you don't subject it to extreme temperatures (freezing cold or red hot).

Get yourself out and about around all the bottle banks. My local sainsburys has 6 full bottle banks and people have started filling trolleys (6 so far) next to the bottle bank much to my delight. I picked up 20 yesterday and another 10 today (feel a bit daft so just pick the ones off the top) and I'll be back in the morning to check again

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                          I tried marbles and it takes literally hundreds to top up. I was quite suprised and never bothered again.

Comment

Agreed, but if you've already got the marbles...?

At least they're inert and would have no effect on the wine. Worth a try until you can get enough bottles together.
                            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

You need to look at your racking and topping up regime.....

these kits are designed to produce a gallon of finished wine, so you can top them off with water during these processes, they are meant to be topped up, just be careful to rack every drop apart from sediment. Racking too early creastes extra loss too. Ignore the timeline in the instructions, spreading it over a little longer period to allow sediment to drop completely wont hurt.

regards
                              Bob
                              N.G.W.B.J.
                              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                              X