X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stand corrected billy,

they have added a new section to their website for new barrels

worth a look

cheers for the info, will give them a ring to find out what sort of oak and toast levels etc
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I'd be interested in the answers, Bob. Tried to email them, and the email bounced
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

do you think there would be enough of a market in the UK to have a small home bussiness supplying some of these additives?

ie buy a kilo or each of the common tannins, biolees , additives and divide it into homewinemaker sized portions and keeping a few hungarian 23- 100 litre hungarian barrels on hand?

more of a hobby thing to help out other winemakers.

I mean many of these ingredients are made in france and germany by companies like Laffort or ordered from Scott labs in the US.
        for barrels , it could be fun to do an easy jet trip to Hungary and visit some coopers and drink some Hungarian wine while there.
        Last edited by bzac; 15-02-2011, 03:47 PM.
        Zac Brown
        Wayward Canuck
        Wandering Wino

Comment

The Beaverdale Rioja tweaks were 1lb of chopped raisins, 1tsp tannin and extra French oak dust all added in the primary. This was a 30 bottle kit btw.

Zac, I posted your great tweaking tips on here quite some time ago. I don't know if you remember but I asked you over on WP if you minded me doing this. Your tweaking ideas inspired me to experiment in many different ways, from experience I have this advice. Don't EVER add dried apricots to a Chardonnay kit
          National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            Vigo ltd (in Honiton Devon) do a full range of stuff, but you have to buy larger quantities and they are expensive

they also do barrels, but I cannot for the life of me find the page on their website
            They have changed things around a bit and old links don't work, but by checking the old linkage to another page on SITEMAP (which still has the old links and they don't work), then comparing that to how it is now I worked out how to access it:

Try this: http://vigoltd.com/wooden-barrels.php

They may not be now listed because they no longer sell them, or it could just be an error on their site causing it's omission on the fermentation & storage vessel page.
            Last edited by David; 15-02-2011, 05:27 PM.
            My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

Cheers David

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by bzac View Post
                do you think there would be enough of a market in the UK to have a small home bussiness supplying some of these additives?
                Difficult to say. My feeling is that there is far less grape winemaking this side of the pond, and that we do tend to make do with what is available.

Personally I'd love to see it, but I don't think there is any money to be made.
                Pete the Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by bzac View Post
                  Unfortunately, the homebrew market here is dominated by people wanting alcohol on the cheap, rather than the quality end of things.

perhaps now we have more peeps on here trhat seek quality, a joint purchase may be in order
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Unfortunately, the homebrew market here is dominated by people wanting alcohol on the cheap, rather than the quality end of things.
                    I was going to say that too, but I thought I might get shot down
                    Pete the Instructor

Comment

perhaps now we have more peeps on here trhat seek quality, a joint purchase may be in order
                      When I was in Montreal , we used to do a group order and split it up .
                      usually 4 yeasts , I kg tannin,fermaid , optired and optiwhite and mlb.

we were able to get commercial pricing even without a bussiness number.
                      Zac Brown
                      Wayward Canuck
                      Wandering Wino

Comment

I'm definitely interested.

Last year my grape wines were made with US-sourced yeast and US-sourced oak, and made a significant difference. I want to do it again this year
                        Pete the Instructor

Comment

Working...
                        X