Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a good white wine kit

Hi

I would like to start a white wine kit off soon that would be drinkable this summer onwards. I tend to like the Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnays from France and wondered if anyone has produced anything like that from a kit.

I have a Beaverdale Sauvignon Blanc 6 bottle kit ageing already but would like to do a 30 bottle kit from one of the more expensive and hopefully better quality manufacturers.

Any suggestions?

Rob

The Winexpert (Selection) New Zealand Sav Blanc comes highly recommended (and is on my list for this year), but generally the more expensive the kit, the longer it needs to age.

You might want to look at the Winexpert Vintners Reserve range - it falls between the Beaverdale and Selection ranges in terms of quality and price. They do a Sav Blanc, and it may be just about ready for summer if you crack on with it now .

EDIT: They do a Chamblaise, which they say will give you a crisp, off-dry wine which requires minimal ageing
    Last edited by goldseal; 21-01-2011, 06:36 PM.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Vintners reserve California white.. Splendid.

Comment

I know you are looking for a higher end kit....
        But the Beaverdale Pinot Grigio is a very good stop gap
        Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Beavewrdale Pinot Grigio, but replace the yeast that comes with it with a Lalvin D47,, or Gervin No5
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Agreed - the Beaverdale PG is good.
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Ok the Beaverdale PG it is then

I may also give the Winexpert New Zealand Sav Blanc a go with the view to enjoying it during the Olympics next year.

Bob, I'd already read your recommendation to replace kit yeasts with a good quality version and religiously use Lalvin for everything now.

Rob

Comment

I'm a little late to this thread, but my vote would be Ken Ridge Showcase German Gewurztraminer. We make it dry, and add the Suss Reserve pack to the primary.

Another choice that I have enjoyed is the Ken Ridge Showcase New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Have not tried the Winexpert equivalent.

Both probably more money than the Beaverdale PG though.

Steve
                the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
                "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Originally posted by cpfan View Post
                  I'm a little late to this thread, but my vote would be Ken Ridge Showcase German Gewurztraminer. We make it dry, and add the Suss Reserve pack to the primary.

Another choice that I have enjoyed is the Ken Ridge Showcase New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Have not tried the Winexpert equivalent.

Both probably more money than the Beaverdale PG though.

Steve
                  You are not too late to this thread as I've decided to make the two kits. The Beaverdale PG is on order but I've yet to make my mind up about the second kit. The Winexpert New Zealand Sav Blanc appears to be over £100 so I kind of like your suggestion for the Ken Ridge equivalent at £70

I've not been a fan of Gewurtztraminer although I've not tried it for a number of years, maybe my tastes have changed so I should give it another go. I think for now though I will stick to making something I should like.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by robwrx View Post
                    I've not been a fan of Gewurtztraminer although I've not tried it for a number of years, maybe my tastes have changed so I should give it another go. I think for now though I will stick to making something I should like.
                    Many Gewurztraminers are off-dry (or even slightly sweeter). As I mentioned above we prefer it dry. If you get an opportunity to sample some G-wine, make sure you note the sweetness.

Steve
                    the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
                    "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

I've not been a fan of Gewurtztraminer although I've not tried it for a number of years, maybe my tastes have changed so I should give it another go.

Make a gallon of the Lychee wine posted by Rich in the recipe thread (its a gewurztraminer clone) tis totally yum scrum

I modify the recipe to add 1 litre white grape concentrate per gallon.,....makes a fab drop of stuff
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Some good suggestions, Beaverdale make some pretty decent white wine kits. The Chardonnay, Sauv Blanc and White Burgundy are all good wines.

My suggestion would be a Kenridge Classic Chardonnay kit. A little bit more expensive than the Beaverdale range but this stuff is awesome and requires next to no ageing. Karl took several first places with his at the Federation show last year and it was only about 2 weeks old!!

I have 5 gallons of this on the go at the moment and no doubt will be buying another kit in the near future.
                        National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                          Make a gallon of the Lychee wine posted by Rich in the recipe thread (its a gewurztraminer clone) tis totally yum scrum

I modify the recipe to add 1 litre white grape concentrate per gallon.,....makes a fab drop of stuff
                          Ha, funny you should mention that as yesterday I went on a hunt for a tin of lychees in my local supermarket but they didn't have any. I had spotted the recipe and thought I would give it a go but I haven't found any lychees yet.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Richard S View Post
                            My suggestion would be a Kenridge Classic Chardonnay kit. A little bit more expensive than the Beaverdale range but this stuff is awesome and requires next to no ageing.
                            Ok, I like the suggestion, I like Chardonnay and I like the idea of being able to drink it soon after fermentation. I will add it to the list, cheers.

Rob

Comment

Ha, funny you should mention that as yesterday I went on a hunt for a tin of lychees in my local supermarket

forgot to add....

I use two tins per gallon too
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                              X