St Emilion wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Emilion wine

Which wine kit comes closest to the French St Emilion wine? Bordeaux wines are some of the best in my opinion, just wondered if there was anything similar kit wise. Cheers.

Found this at http://www.thewinedoctor.com/regiona...temilion.shtml
    Not saying it is the most accurate.
    The permitted varieties match those allowed elsewhere in Bordeaux, namely the Cabernets Franc & Sauvignon, Merlot, Carmenère and Malbec. Naturally it is the first three that dominate, but the lead role goes to Merlot, which copes much better with the limestone and clay soils, as opposed to Cabernet Sauvignon which is better suited to gravel. One or two estates, with Cheval Blanc being perhaps the prime example, feature Cabernet Franc ahead of all the other varieties
    So something Merlot-Cab Sauv-Cab Franc might fill the bill. I'm not really aware of any Merlot first kits like this. Also, being in Canada, I'm not certain what kits are available in the UK. Since I know some Vineco kits are available, I'll mention the Ken Ridge Classic Trilogy; however, it appears to be Cab Sauv-Cab Franc-Merlot.

The CHWTA alternate name for St. Emilion is Jermillon. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a Jermillon kit since about 2001, and the description of that kit was Cab Sauv foremost.

Good luck finding something, Steve
    Last edited by cpfan; 02-03-2011, 06:02 PM.
    the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
    "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Winexpert makes both a French Cabernet and a French Merlot kit. Maybe you could make both and create your own blend.
      Steve

Comment

Thanks for the replies. It appears that over here I can buy a SELECTION ORIGINAL SERIES CABERNET/MERLOT (not sure country of origin) & SELECTION INTERNATIONAL SERIES FRENCH MERLOT. I'm going to order both & age for 12 months. After which have a bit of fun blending like you suggest. I have made mostly Beaverdale kits in the past & have just started tweaking their kits (extra sugar, sultanas, oak, better yeast etc) with promising results. Are there any tweaks worth doing with the Winexpert/Selection kits or are they good as they are? When I start this I'll create a seperate thread & keep updating the work in progress.

Comment

I find the WE kits to be good kits, in my humble opinion the only wiorthwhile addition could be maybe some quality grape skins...you can get your hands on these during our grapefest event in September (see grapefest thread for details)

other than that, dont rush the making , always go by hydrometer readings and not by numbr of days, age it well, and dont be tempted to drink it

I think they make prettty good wine as is

regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Volty:

The Selection International kits are considered better quality than the Selection Original kits, but I suspect both are better than the Beaverdales. Most people recommend tweaking for the 4-week kits, and not so much for the 6-week kits. Although Bob's grape skin suggestion is a good one.

There have been some discussions about yeast changes for kits. Winexpert does a lot of testing with yeasts, and ships each kit with the "appropriate" yeast. I'm not sure which yeast will come with these two kits, but personally I do not consider swapping yeasts with Winexpert kits.

BTW, there is a Selection International French Cab Sauv, if you would like to stick to kits sourced in France. Also KenRidge Showcase has a French Cab Sauv and French Merlot.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
              I find the WE kits to be good kits, in my humble opinion the only wiorthwhile addition could be maybe some quality grape skins...you can get your hands on these during our grapefest event in September (see grapefest thread for details)

other than that, dont rush the making , always go by hydrometer readings and not by numbr of days, age it well, and dont be tempted to drink it

I think they make prettty good wine as is

regards
              Bob

Cheers for the info. This will be the first time making a Selection kit. I'm looking forward to seeing what difference there is between them & the Beaverdale. I've just been reading the Grapefest thread & its only 40ish miles from me so could be a possibility if I can get time of work.

Comment

Originally posted by cpfan View Post
                Volty:

The Selection International kits are considered better quality than the Selection Original kits, but I suspect both are better than the Beaverdales. Most people recommend tweaking for the 4-week kits, and not so much for the 6-week kits. Although Bob's grape skin suggestion is a good one.

There have been some discussions about yeast changes for kits. Winexpert does a lot of testing with yeasts, and ships each kit with the "appropriate" yeast. I'm not sure which yeast will come with these two kits, but personally I do not consider swapping yeasts with Winexpert kits.

BTW, there is a Selection International French Cab Sauv, if you would like to stick to kits sourced in France. Also KenRidge Showcase has a French Cab Sauv and French Merlot.

Steve

Thanks for the info. I've just had a look online & have found these

KENRIDGE SHOWCASE FRENCH MERLOT

SELECTION INTERNATIONAL SERIES FRENCH MERLOT

Is there any difference between Kenridge & Selection as they are nearly the same price, whats peoples preference? . I have not been able to find any French Cab Sauv for sale here by either company but will keep on looking.

Comment

Just found this, anybody tried this one, seems very expensive

SELECTION Montagnac Vieux Chateau d'Oc Also known as! Montagnac Syrah/Mourvedre £130.89

Comment

Originally posted by Volty View Post
                    Is there any difference between Kenridge & Selection as they are nearly the same price, whats peoples preference?
                    Personally I think KenRidge Showcase and Selection International are very close in quality, so it makes sense that the prices would be similar. I've made more KRS than SI, mainly because I sold Vineco kits (but not Winexpert)for 6 years. And these days I live close to the Vineco factory store, and the kits are a bit cheaper there. Also, I prefer the way that Vineco handles the bentonite.

Just found this, anybody tried this one, seems very expensive

SELECTION Montagnac Vieux Chateau d'Oc Also known as! Montagnac Syrah/Mourvedre £130.89
                    This is a Selecation Estate Crushendo kit and comes with grape skins. The Crushendo kits are discontinued (due to be replaced by a new line soon), and kits are in short supply in North America.

BTW this appears (from the product sheet) to be similar to a Chateuneuf-du-Pape (aka Vieux Chateau du Roi).

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by cpfan View Post
                      Personally I think KenRidge Showcase and Selection International are very close in quality, so it makes sense that the prices would be similar. I've made more KRS than SI, mainly because I sold Vineco kits (but not Winexpert)for 6 years. And these days I live close to the Vineco factory store, and the kits are a bit cheaper there. Also, I prefer the way that Vineco handles the bentonite.

This is a Selecation Estate Crushendo kit and comes with grape skins. The Crushendo kits are discontinued (due to be replaced by a new line soon), and kits are in short supply in North America.

BTW this appears (from the product sheet) to be similar to a Chateuneuf-du-Pape (aka Vieux Chateau du Roi).

Steve
                      Cheers for the info, any idea when the new kits are available?

Comment

Cheers for the info, any idea when the new kits are available?
                        Short answer...NO

Winexpert's initial answer...a few months ago.

Realistic answer...when all the kinks are worked out.

Sorry that's the best summary of a discussion thread that I can come up with.

Steve

Comment

you might think about adding some French oak cubes while bulk ageing . I like medium plus toast for a bit more old world style
                          Zac Brown
                          Wayward Canuck
                          Wandering Wino

Comment

Originally posted by bzac View Post
                            you might think about adding some French oak cubes while bulk ageing . I like medium plus toast for a bit more old world style
                            Not seen cubes for sale at local HBS only chips. I asume cubes are left in longer than chips.

Comment

There are a couple of types of chips. Karl sells nice chunky chips which work well, Youngs so called chips are almost like sawdust and splinters and whilst these work pretty quickly I find them less convienient.

I am also currently producing a St Emillion style blend (which is generally merlot dominant Claret). This is based on a California Conoisseur Cabernet Sauvignon kit made to instructions last summer blended with merlot from grapefest. The CC is reasonably true to type but lacks a little body, however the merlot from grapefest is an oaky blockbuster (grapes were pretty ripe) so I am expecting good things. The free run wine is really good. Am going to start bench blending trials shortly so will keep you posted.
                              Last edited by SiSandrine; 09-03-2011, 02:51 PM.
                              Simon
                              "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Working...
                              X