Starting 3 new Selection W.Expert kits shortly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting 3 new Selection W.Expert kits shortly

I've not been making much wine lately so the "wine fund" has been building up in the bank account. My red wine stocks are getting very low and I am determined not to break into the 70 litres or so of Wine Expert kits that have been bulk ageing for the last few months.
    So.... I am distracting myself and treating myself to 3 new kits. Just ordered today from my LHBS. Also need to start something off with the freezer full of pears from my garden.
    Reason for the thread... wondered if anyone has any hints or tips worth sharing on any of these kits? Otherwise, I'll follow the instructions. I'm just a bit nervous as the one of the kits is pricier than I normally go too and don't want it spoiling!!

1) Wine Expert International Series Amarone
    I have never tasted Amarone in commerial wine, or home-brewed. Hoping it lives up to the hype.

2) Wine Expert Estates Series Lodi Ranch Cab Sav
    This one set me back close on £100 and is the one I am nervous about spilling, spoiling or not getting my money's worth out of!! I hope my "investment" is worth it!

3) Wine Expert Ltd Edition Portuguese Douro Tinto.
    LImited Edition which comes out in April I beleive. Got my name on one.

Wallet slightly lighter now
    Stuart

View My Current BrewTrax Stat's here
    BrewTrax forum discount details here

Amarone - I've made the Kenridge version a few times now. It's excellent and needs a minimum of a years ageing, preferably much longer. Follow the W.E. instructions for adding extra sulphite, bottle it, box it and put it away!

The other 2 sound good too!

Let your wine fund build up for September, then it's grapefest time!

Comment

I always find the WE kits worth the extrra spend

Tip for these kits?

dont rush things...let your hydrometer tell you when to move to the next stages, not the number of days, extending the timeline will not harm things (within reason)

Like rich says....age them well..the reward is worth the wait

regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Sorry for the slow reply (hand injury. Doc says I need to stay off PC for a while)

Thanks for the info and tips gents

I have received my Estate Series Cab Sav. Quite frankly I am scared stiff brewing a kit this expensive but I have been doing some prep/mod's to my brewering kit (will discuss in another thread) to reduce risk of spoileage.

It seems the distributor is out of stock on the Amarone so I wil give it a week or 2 waiting and then change to the Kenridge version. Both the same cost and I have heard good things about both kits (probably the same source grapes anyway??).

The Ltd Edition kit is due in April I beleive.
        Stuart

View My Current BrewTrax Stat's here
        BrewTrax forum discount details here

Comment

Selection's Luna Rossa or Barolo

I have always made Beaverdale's £40 kits and have decided to give their SELECTION a try and at £75 it's got to be right, I'm looking at either Luna Rossa or Barolo, I like a full bodied wine with plenty of fruity taste, which would you experts recommend and for how long should I store it for before the great temptation of drinking it kicks in. Thank you. Mac

Comment

I'd go for the Barolo, the Luna is very good, but the Barolo is maybe a bit fruitier. (From what I remember)

I'd be tempted to look at the Montepulciano in that range too, it's on my list of ones to make when I get round to it.

Time to store before drinking? I'd go for at least a year if you can, maybe a wee taster at 6 months. Following the instructions and adding the little bit extra sulphite for the extended ageing. Then bottle it, and wait a month or so longer.

Comment

Hi Rich, on Saturday I went to my local wine kit shop intending to buy a Selections kit (Barolo as you suggested) and decided on a slightly cheaper kit (£55) by the same company as Selections, called Moments, I chose the Merlot, it strongly suggests using either spring or bottled water rather than tap water which is going to knock the price up as it needs 23 litres, have you or anyone used tap water and how did it turn out. Thanks, Mac.

Comment

UK tap water is completely fine for these kits.......

unless you live where you cant drink the water

regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

A good kit will have at least 10L of concentrate so you'll only need about 13L, roughly (3) 5L jugs from the store, costing you 3GBP. Try making tea or coffee with tap water and filtered water, you'll see the difference. However, I do cheat and often use tap water

Comment

tap water or not

thanks for your advice Bob and Krakowmike, I might just give the bottled water a try and see how it turns out. thanks, Mac.

Comment

I wouldnt use bottled water, Durham tap water tastes much better

regards
                      Bob
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                        I wouldnt use bottled water, Durham tap water tastes much better

regards
                        Bob
                        I know what you mean- every time I visit family in Zakopane (southern Poland where the mountains are at) I prefer tap water over bottled water any day!

Comment

I'm a great fan of the Amarone. The one tip I think is really worth passing on is to put a lot of effort into degassing at the time you add the stabilizer. I've stopped using the electric drill/swizzle-stick. I put some clingfilm over the bung and replace it. Put it across my knees and shake it backwards&forwards 60 times, gingerly stand upright and let out the gas. The first time, it almost explodes. I keep doing this until there is not the slightest 'puff' (normally takes 10-12 cycles). The next day I do just the same (CO2 must seep out of suspension, because the first go is quite violent again).

I've found that really improves the taste of the final result on all red wines - it removes that home-brew buzz.

Then the hard part is conditioning. Minimum of 6 months for reds is really necessary in my experience and for my taste.
                          Last edited by ToulouseLePlot; 18-11-2011, 04:27 PM.
                          Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
                          Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

Working...
                          X