Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Yeast??... SOLOMON GRUNDY GOLD PIESPORTER 30 BOTTLE

Hii All

I got a bargain ...we'll I think I did at my LHBS... a SOLOMON GRUNDY GOLD PIESPORTER 30 BOTTLE kit for £10

The box was marked date code Jan 2011.. Was told the kit would be fine but the only thing would be the yeast needs to be replaced as that would be out of date!

questions are:....

1. Do you think this kit will be ok & the yeast is all I need to replace
    2. I have Young's Wine Yeast Super Compound @ home can I just use this inplace?

Any help much appreciated

Whataboy
    .I'm going to make a new wine & call it responsibly, so other drinks companys advertise for me .. "Drink Responsibly"

I have got similar bargains in my local HBS on numerous occasions.
    I bought a sachet of appropriate Gervin yeast, and all was well
    Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

I'd probably try a Lalvin 71B-1122 (the same as Gervin D).
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Thanks guys..

For educational purposes what would the difference be using the lalvin / Gervin as apposed to the youngs wine yeast that i have? taste? fermentation time?.etc

Cheers
        Whataboy
        .I'm going to make a new wine & call it responsibly, so other drinks companys advertise for me .. "Drink Responsibly"

Comment

Both of the above.

Generally, replacing the yeast in a budget or mid-range kit will improve the quality of the finished product. You may find that fermentation takes a little longer if you are replacing one of those turbo-nutter-yeast concoctions - remember to use any times given in the instructions as a guide. Your hydrometer is your friend
          Pete the Instructor

Comment

Thanks Goldseal

Going to order the lalvin 71B-1122 now, my LHBS does not stock lalvin so I'll check fleebay.

Can you buy the lalvin in a bigger tub or is it just 5g sachets?

Cheers
            Whataboy

Comment

Just 5g sachets - one sachet is sufficient for your kit.
              Pete the Instructor

Comment

You might want to try the yeast that came with the kit....

make up a yeast starter, if it fires up ok, you may be ok. Yeast tends to survive long past the date on the packet....

Youngs super yeast compound is the work of Satan

regards
                bob
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by whataboy View Post
                  Thanks Goldseal

Going to order the lalvin 71B-1122 now, my LHBS does not stock lalvin so I'll check fleebay.

Can you buy the lalvin in a bigger tub or is it just 5g sachets?

Cheers
                  Whataboy
                  Is your HBS the one on Dumbarton Rd ?
                  She only stocks Gervin ... thats why I only ever get that one

Comment

So the date codes on these kits are an expiry date? The brands available in Canada (Winexpert, Vineco, Spagnols) have a manufacturing date.

Do the packets of yeast also have an expiry date? (Lalvin yeast has an expiry date on the package.)

Steve
                    the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
                    "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

We have all sorts of dates. Best before. Use by. Display until.
                      I ignore them all. Taste and sniff works for me everytime.
                      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

If your HBS stocks Vintners Harvest yeast, grab an MA33 - we think that is the same yeast as 71B.
                        Pete the Instructor

Comment

Yeah Spritzer....Dumbarton Rd

Mmmm....how did you know?

I was looking at the Gervin Gv9,Gv3 or Gv11?

I used a Gv3 in the newbies wine #1 and also used the youngs super in another batch & I could taste a big difference between the two the GV3 took much longer & nicer tasting, but using the youngs super seemed to have/leave a strange sensation in my throat like a slight burn or acidic thing going on (but I didn't know at the time that could be due to the yeast)!

excuse my newbie description but I am only at the start of my Connoisseur career......Dose that sound about right? (laughing at myself)

Whataboy

Comment

Yeah Spritzer....Dumbarton Rd

Mmmm....how did you know?

I was looking at the Gervin Gv9,Gv3 or Gv11?

I used a Gv3 in the newbies wine #1 and also used the youngs super in another batch & I could taste a big difference between the two the GV3 took much longer & nicer tasting, but using the youngs super seemed to have/leave a strange sensation in my throat like a slight burn or acidic thing going on (but I didn't know at the time that could be due to the yeast)!

excuse my newbie description but I am only at the start of my Connoisseur career......Dose that sound about right? (laughing at myself)

Whataboy
                            The one on Dumbarton Rd, is the only one that I know of in Glasgow
                            And is my local HBS

I use the Gervin yeasts.
                            I did have a tub of Youngs yeast years ago, that I used in emergency's... but I think I ended up throwing it out.
                            As Bob (Lockwood) says.... try and hydrate the one with the kit, if it works then it will find. If it doesnt foam up, then use one of your Gervin yeasts (green label #1, I think is what I would use.)

Comment

Working...
                            X