Sauternes style wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sauternes style wine

*This was posted by me on another forum but I thought it might be of interest to you guys here too*

I had tried to recreate the style of a Sauternes 'Dessert' Wine by making a Raisin Wine but it ended in complete failure.

However I did find an excellent website all about homemade wine and this page caught my eye:

To sum up, the author recommends buying a Semillon based wine kit and throwing the instructions away.

Instead the idea is to put the grape concentrate into a demi-john and, using water or juice, dilute it until the S.G is around 1.135. The must is then allowed to ferment down to about 1.040 before treating the wine with a campden tablet and potassium sorbate.
    This results in a sweet, rich, syrupy wine of about 12.6%. The taste, being made from Semillon, is supposedly closer to Sauternes then other non-grape recipes......

Anyway, I thought I'd give this a go and made up a batch about a year ago. I bought a California Connoisseur Chardonnay / Semillon 6 bottle wine kit from my local homebrew shop.

Join the homebrewing revolution! Brewing beer, cider and wine making at home has never been so popular or so simple. At the Homebrew Centre we have everything you will need from starter kits, homebrew equipment, hops, grains and malts to wine kits, beer kits and cider kits.

I then did as the recipe said and diluted the concentrate (I ended up with about 1.145). I added the oak and allowed it to ferment down to 1.040 giving me 14%APV.

I added a campden tablet and potassium sorbate then a few days later racked it. A while passed before I finally racked it again before filtering and bottling the wine.

Here’s some photos of the finished result:

There was a little left over for immediate sampling and I was VERY surprised at just how good it tastes. It’s not Chateau d’Yquem but it’s definitely along the lines of a Sauternes and I’ve got six 37.5cl bottles of it for about £12!

Anyway, if anyone likes sweet dessert wines and Sauternes in particular, have a crack at making the recipe from the website above. The main reason for me writing this post is that I’ve bumbled upon something which is, in my mind, a bit special and wanted to share with you guys.

Cheers
    Last edited by dpile1; 02-06-2011, 10:15 AM.
    Feel the Zin

I'll be trying a bottle of this in a few weeks and will post an update on how it's looking.

Cheers
    Feel the Zin

Comment

Sounds interesting.

If it turns out OK, you could post the recipe in the Recipes section (but please include full credits and a link back to the original article).
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

A very innovative technique! Note that one of the things that sets commercial Sauternes apart - and which adds greatly to the cost - is the presence of botrytis cinerea (aka "noble rot"). It's a naturally occurring fungus that dehydrates the grapes, thus increasing the sugar level and imparting a complex flavor. It would be impossible to mimic this in a kit, but that's not to say that the method described doesn't produce a pleasant tasting dessert wine.

Your bottlings look very good, by the way, though I would suggest maybe increasing the fill level slightly. You want to keep it within 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the bottom of the cork. This is especially important when using 375 ml bottles, as it will aid in preventing premature oxidation.
        Steve

Comment

Working...
        X