Red Wine Tweaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Wine Tweaks?

I usually buy only Rose and White wine kits due to the Reds not being so good in my previous experience. However on people's recommendations I've just bought a Beaverdale Barolo kit. Lockwood has suggested replacing the yeast and adding sultanas for body.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for improving a Barolo kit?
    Last edited by dpile1; 11-06-2011, 11:59 AM.
    Feel the Zin

A little extra tannin maybe, and some more oak. (All depending on how you like your red wine really) I have found though, that a year or so of ageing can transform kit red wines. Where as whites tend to be drinkable fairly quickly.

Somewhere on here Richard_s posted Bzacs kit tweaks I'm sure. I'll have a look in a bit if you can't find it.

Comment

My advice when making any kit for the first time is don't change anything, make it exactly as the instructions state. Once you have tasted the end product, you will have a good idea on what changes you might want to try in future. My favorite tweaking kit is the Beaverdale Rioja.
      National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Good advice from Mr S

the biggerst change to the wine is the change of yeast.....its generic General purpose stuff they pack with the Beaverdale kits, swapping for a good quality yeast brings the kit to life

regards
        bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.
          Feel the Zin

Comment

i am about to put on a beaverdale barolo so wondered what choice of yeast would be best to replace the one they provide?

cheers in advance

Comment

Lalvin RC-212 or K1V-1116 or Gervin no2
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                Lalvin RC-212 or K1V-1116 or Gervin no2
                Is it worth swapping out the nutrient?
                Last edited by billybuntus; 02-07-2011, 08:36 AM.

Comment

you shouldnt have problems with nutrients as the kit has plenty on board.......

however.....i always use a good nutrient
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                    A little extra tannin maybe, and some more oak. (All depending on how you like your red wine really) I have found though, that a year or so of ageing can transform kit red wines. Where as whites tend to be drinkable fairly quickly.

Somewhere on here Richard_s posted Bzacs kit tweaks I'm sure. I'll have a look in a bit if you can't find it.
                    I've done the Beaverdal Barola before. I didnt change a thing - as it comes with dried elderberries to give it a bit of extra body. I made it back in December 2009 and now its fantastic - full of chewyness, if you get my drift? It really does come alive after 12-18 months. Whites from beaverdale can be drunk early - but 6 months is usually a good time . . .
                    A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Comment

I would venture that Lalvin RC-212 would be a good trweak but longer term. AND K1V-1116 would be an imporvement and be drinking sooner.

Thoughts anyone ?

PS: Of course you could always try BDX (shameful advertising Brian)
                      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Shameful advertising indeed.....

but good on ya!

I agree with your thoughts on RC-212 and K1V-1116 though

I used BM45 last year, and like it

regards
                        bob
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                        X