Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the Queen was coming....

Bear with me here

If the Queen was going to grace you with her Royal presence in a couple of years and you had £100 to spend on one quality wine kit, what wine kit would you buy and why? Also, would you make any alterations to the kit?

I've got a parent turning 60 in two years and am trying to decide which kit to buy....
    Feel the Zin

PS. It's for the party...
    Feel the Zin

Comment

If it were Red, I would try to find a Winexpert ltd edition petit verdot kit in stock somewhere, I wouldn't change it at all, except age it, its a fantastic kit, we drank the last of mine from 2006 this year, it was phenominal
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I was just about to ask red or white but that would have been my only contribution as I have never made a kit which cost more than £45 nor managed to age them more than six months. I shall persevere though...
        Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

Or maybe you could invest in some winemaking grapes, and some top quality yeast, oak and extra bits and bobs?

included in the £100 could be a night in a B&B for grapefest
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, the Petit Verdot looks interesting. Quite interested in the Pacifica White too if it's still available.

Grapefest looks brilliant but it's a bit of a trek for me from Bristol and I've got Uni before and after that weekend. Maybe next year.
            Feel the Zin

Comment

It's so much more than a weekend to pick up some grapes.. You get to meet people off the forum, get your wine tasted, pick up hints and tips, enter Karls raffle (if he does another!), hear several renditions of the Proclaimers..

Anyway, back on topic. I'd look at doing a Kenridge Amerone. With a little extra added oak. (Or the Kenridge Petit Verdot if you can still find that) I've made both, and after a year or 2 of ageing they are superb. Mind you, there are a few 'top quality' wine kits that cost around £100, I've not made any of those..

Comment

You said you have 2 years - the best stuff to buy is grapes do them yourself or go to grapefest no matter. Young wines are drinking 6 months later, so if you don't like it you still have time for a kit!
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

The consensus seems to be Grapefest - I'll see what I can do.
                  Feel the Zin

Comment

Don't bother brining a proclaimer. There will be one there...
                    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                    -Police Squad

Comment

I may see if I can grow a beard by then!
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

If the bleedin' queen was coming to my gaff in 2 years time, she'd have to put up with mead. Of course a wunner would buy decent honey, enough for at least a 5 gallon batch.

regards

jtfb
                        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I don't believe the Queen gets to Minneapolis very often (though the band Queen has visited on several occasions), so I doubt I have much to be concerned with.

As far as kits, I wholeheartedly second the suggestion of Winexpert's LE Petit Verdot. Though I would much prefer the fresh grape route myself.
                          Steve

Comment

I shall keep my eye out for a Petit Verdot, everyone seems to rate it.
                            Feel the Zin

Comment

Working...
                            X