Should I use a different yeast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I use a different yeast?

I am about to start a Beaverdale Barolo 30 bottle kit. The yeast supplied isn't named - just says red wine yeast. I made a Californian Connoisseur kit recently and it was supplied with Lalvin K1V-1116 (I think). Would I be better choosing a different yeast for this robust wine?

I think you would, but I can't recommend a specific yeast for that particular kit.

K1V-1116 would bring out the fruit in the kit. RC-212 would be worth considering if you want to age the kit - it should give you a 'deeper' flavour.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

I use RC-212 in all Beaverdale reds, it certainly improves the end result.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Thanks for replies. I must say I was rather surprised to find a non-descript wine yeast in what is a higher end wine kit.

Comment

BDX would probably go well to!
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
            BDX would probably go well to!
            Sorry, I am new to all this. What is this?

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Lass View Post
              Sorry, I am new to all this. What is this?
              It's a shameless sales pitch by Cellar Rat
              Pete the Instructor

Comment

Sorry that was unfair of me. I have imported some Lalvin wine yeasts that are not generally available in the UK to share with forum members.
                You may have heard a bit about grape wine making thing too - what is it now - grapefest.
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Lass View Post
                  I am about to start a Beaverdale Barolo 30 bottle kit. The yeast supplied isn't named - just says red wine yeast. I made a Californian Connoisseur kit recently and it was supplied with Lalvin K1V-1116 (I think). Would I be better choosing a different yeast for this robust wine?
                  Hi, I've done the Barolo: its an excellent kit as it is. I made it in July 2009 and recently polished off the last few bottles, sadly.

I WILL be moving into trying other yeasties with Beaverdale kits, but if this is your first time trying the kit, then my honest opinion is to keep it as it is: it offers so much, especially with the addition of the (kit included) dried elderberries. It truly is THE best red wine kit i have made. Yes, i'm a tight northerner, and i dont really splash out on kits more than the cost of beaverdale, but with a 30 bottle kit, if you have the patience, you will be rewarded.

Just a few thoughts.

A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Comment

I believe the Beaverdale Barolo to be the best value kit available (pound for pound)

Swapping the yeast produces great results from these kits, but for anyone new to winemaking, it is best to (to quote my buddy TimV) "stick to the instructions, omitting no detail, no matter how slight"

The yeasts they supply are not of a good enough quality in my opinion. the Lalvin RC-212 or K1V-1116 will both produce good results. The RC-212 will give bigger rounder mouthfeel and will require ageing at least 6 months, the K1V-1116 will produce a slightly lighter fruitier wine, that will be drinkable much sooner.

regards
                    Bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Having come back to winemaking just recently (last made wine in the 70's/early 80's) I never realised that different yeasts could produce different results. Can't remember having any choice in the past. I find it fascinating.

Comment

Yeast can make a huge difference.

The simple version:
                        YEAST FOR NEWBIES Yeast is important. If yeast only converted sugar to alcohol, you'd end up with something which tastes like alcoholic grape juice. The processes which take place are complex, and different yeast strains behave in different ways. We try to choose the strain which will affect our wine in a positive manner.

... and something a bit more comprehensive:
                        New to winemaking? Want simple, basic advice on which yeast strains to select? Look at this tutorial (http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=80360) first. For more comprehensive information, read on ... from Jack Kellers fantastic website http://winemaking.jackkeller.net Red Star Active Dry Yeasts

Yeast does convert sugar to alcohol and CO2, but the actual processes involved are really complex - there are lots of other processes going on. If you are a masochist or insomniac, you might find this useful:

- beer-orientated, but relevant to wine.
                        Pete the Instructor

Comment

I think yeast and yeast nutrient improvement has been the biggest leap forward in winemaking. We now have a huge range of choice, and because of that, have more control over the process.

The generic yeasts and super yeast compounds available do an ok job, but using agood quality yeast and nutrient will yield great results.

regards
                          Bob
                          N.G.W.B.J.
                          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                          X