Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenridge Classic - First kit questions

Hi Guys

Couple of newbie questions I'm afraid having just bottled my first go at wine.

Went for a Kenridge classic 30 bottle Cab Sauv kit, followed the instructions to the letter bar managing to forget to rack the wine into a clean FV tonight prior to bottling, I'm guessing the net result of this isn't the end of the world?? Maybe a slightly less clear wine with a bit more sediment ??? (I didn't filter as I don't have a filter)

My other question is on aging really, the instructions state a couple of things.

1 - If aging for more than 6 months add 1/4 tsp potassium metabisulfite
    2 - Wine should be acceptable to drink when bottling but will basically keep for up to 6 months

I didn't do point one as I didn't expect much of the wine to make it past 6 months, however having tried a sample post bottling its tasting a touch rough / chemically at the moment - It tasted better before the final batch of chemicals went in for clearing. Is this likely to subside quickly ?? If not I fear I may have made a mistake in not adding the potassium metasulfite....

I have read a lot of posts on getting the best from red wines aged over a year etc however the instruction seem to contradict this a bit....

I guess what I really want to know is

1 - When to expect the best from the wine?
    2 - should I have added the postassium metabisulfitewhen bottling?
    3 - How long will it keep for ?
    4 - Should it taste better than if does now?? (which isn't great - is this normal)

Grateful if anyone has any thoughts
    cheers suls

Originally posted by suls View Post
    I guess what I really want to know is

1 - When to expect the best from the wine?
    2 - should I have added the postassium metabisulfitewhen bottling?
    3 - How long will it keep for ?
    4 - Should it taste better than if does now?? (which isn't great - is this normal)

Grateful if anyone has any thoughts
    cheers suls
    1. I would say 6 months plus - despite what the instructions say. We have been enjoying some Ken Ridge Classic Merlot that was bottled Feb 2009. Even better now (IMO). Mine was filtered, and I didn't add the extra K-meta.
    2. Optional (IMO).
    3. 5 years? Probably depends on your storage. Mine is not great but not terrible either. Too cold now, and too warm in the summer.
    4. Definitely. I'm used to filtered wine or wine that has sat in carboy a while, so I can't comment really. Give it a month before trying it again.

Steve
    Last edited by cpfan; 06-02-2012, 10:16 PM.
    the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
    "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

I wouldn't worry about no racking before bottling. That step is there just to get it off the lees (sediment) cleanly, before bottling. If you pick a bit up, no worries - it'll settle again, so if you notice bottles with a little sediment, stand them upright a day or two before opening, then when you do open one, do it crefully, and pour carefully into a jug, leaving the sediment behind.

The rest - as per Steve's comments.

It will almost certainly taste better in a couple of months. Leave as long as you can before starting to drink it - it will improve for a few years.

Take a look at our Wine No.1 tutorial - the secret is to make more wine than you can drink, thereby forcing you to age some of it
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Thanks Both

Looks like I'm in the right area with it and haven't dropped a boll**k as yet...

Reassuring to know the potential is there to age for years although I doubt this batch will make 6 let alone 12 months, I'll give it a few more weeks before sampling another bottle anyway,

Am coming from a beer brewing backround and managed to finally get in front of my demands with that before Christmas which was good although wine may take a little longer, have invested in a 90 bottle rack to begin with which pleased the wife no end, so scope for another 60 bottles is available.

Will spend a few evenings in the tutorials and see what I can learn!

Thanks again suls

Comment

Originally posted by suls View Post
          Thanks Both

Looks like I'm in the right area with it and haven't dropped a boll**k as yet...

Reassuring to know the potential is there to age for years although I doubt this batch will make 6 let alone 12 months, I'll give it a few more weeks before sampling another bottle anyway,

Am coming from a beer brewing backround and managed to finally get in front of my demands with that before Christmas which was good although wine may take a little longer, have invested in a 90 bottle rack to begin with which pleased the wife no end, so scope for another 60 bottles is available.

Will spend a few evenings in the tutorials and see what I can learn!

Thanks again suls
          Sorry but I don't think a 90 bottle rack is enough to get ahead in the wine making game. You need to get a couple of years ahead of consumption, especially for reds.

Steve
          the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
          "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Originally posted by cpfan View Post
            You need to get a couple of years ahead of consumption, especially for reds.
            Someone else with a wife like mine then
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
            X