Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaverdale advice please.

Hi

I'm fairly new to this so a little advice would be very much appreciated.

I've got a 30 bottle Beaverdale Barolo on the go. The instructions state that I should rack it at Sg 1010, which it should be by tomorrow.

Question is this. My fermenting vessel is a Youngs fermenting barrel with the 4" screw top. I also have a Youngs bucket. Can I rack in to the bucket then wash and sanitize the barrel before transferring back?
    I also have a better bottle type carboy, should I rack in to this? My only concern would be that it wouldn't leave any head space for degassing.

Thanks in advance.

I have to do my second racking into my fermenter and then back again.

No problems - be gentle with it, try not to induce to much air.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I would rack to the better bottle

You could rack to the bucket, and then wash out the container with the big hole at the top, and rack back into that, but once fermentation is complete you need to exclude air, so it will need to go into the better bottle eventually, so better going straight into it..

you can remove some of the wine for degassing purposes

regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks for the answers guys.

I actually have two 30 bottle kits on the go at the moment, I have a beaverdale Cabernet about 5 days behind the Barolo so unless I can get another Better bottle before its time to rack that, I'll have to re use the youngs wine barrel.
        How long does it take for Oxidisation to start to cause a problem?

Comment

As long as it is fermenting you will be okay as the co2 forces any o2 out. Once the wine is finished and you want to degass then you could have problems very quickly as a gallon and a half of headspace has a load of o2. If finances allow (and your not too far away) take a trip to Elderberry home brew on Station Road in Whitley Bay. I got my pseudo better bottle there for £18.50 including the bung. Bargain! Edit, If you possibly can mature them (or at least some of them) for a least 6 months, the difference is astounding
          Originally posted by mosschops2 View Post
          Thanks for the answers guys.

I actually have two 30 bottle kits on the go at the moment, I have a beaverdale Cabernet about 5 days behind the Barolo so unless I can get another Better bottle before its time to rack that, I'll have to re use the youngs wine barrel.
          How long does it take for Oxidisation to start to cause a problem?
          Last edited by Original Mac; 14-02-2012, 09:09 PM. Reason: Bad memory
          Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

Thanks everyone for your answers.

I may put my hand in my pocket for another Better bottle. I'm in Stockton on Tees. whitley bay is under the tunnel from here about 50 miles but ill get one from somewhere.

One other question. what do I do if I rack in to the Better bottle and theres some left over. I reckon I may have been out with my measurements by almost a litre.

Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Bobs right "it will need to go into the better bottle eventually" anyhow being that tight is my job!!
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thanks again

Looks like Ill be purchasing another Better bottle.
                Mac, Regarding maturing my wine. I'm going to try and mature as long as I can but unless I can get ahead of myself there wont be much chance.
                60 bottles sounds a lot but it wont last long in my house.

Comment

Working...
                X