Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaverdale Pinot Grigio left on (D47) lees

Hi!

I have just started a 30 bottle Beaverdale Pinot Grigio kit and I have used Lalvin D47 based on the advice of many of you in the posts that I have read.

I have also seen on the Lallemandwine.us website this comment:

'When left on lees, ripe spicy aromas with tropical and citrus notes are developed. ICV-D47 is a high polysaccharide producer known for its accentuated fruit and great volume. '

This sounds like what I am after, but: How long should I leave the wine on the lees for?

I was planning to leave the finished product for several months in bulk to mature anyway, so waiting a while longer is not a problem.

Are there any rules of thumb, or do I just need to taste the wine left on the lees every week or so to see how it is doing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, John

dunno about most of that, but what has been found in the mead world, is that D47 has quite a narrow temperature range and if the ferment is carried out above 70F/21C it's a bugger for producing fusels.....

So keep it within it's temp range, or at least slightly lower than it's max......
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

D47 temperature range

Thanks for the info.

I started the kit off today in my kitchen (temp 22-21C). Would you recommend me moving it down to the cellar which is a steady 18C this time of year?

Cheers, John

Comment

Hi jgtec,

Have a look into "batonage" or whatever the froggies call it - stirring the lees occasionally to add the flavour more into the wine.

Enjoy.

Owl.
        A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Comment

This is quite an interesting link:

Owl.

Comment

I would like to contradict that article.....NEVER leave the wine on the gross less for longer than is necessary, batonage is where the wine is left on the fine lees and the lees is stirred into the wine occasionally. it isnt a technique I would recommend unless you are wuite experienced, and it isn't one I would personally like to use wth a wne kit.

changing the yeast to a Lalvin D47 will enhance the kit a great deal.

hope that helps

regards
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

John. I would try the Beaverdale White Burgundy kit with the D47 yeast from what you've said it will more be along the lines of what you are trying to achieve in flavour and style. Very nice kit too. I've made it 4 times now as per instructions then with lalvin K1v nice and fruity but a little overly fruity for the style, and with D47 better nose fruity but a little heavier and more complex.
              Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

Comment

This does not apply to gross lees !! I have read extensively about this and it's on my list of things to try - but quite frankly is a bit scary.

PS. it seems Bob beat me to it! I should wait and read all of the forum before diving in.

PPS. if Derek is listening, people advise you further on this process as he did some work with Merlot on it last year.
                Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 23-04-2012, 03:38 PM. Reason: just could not help myself !!
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thank you all for the input and advice, very helpful.

I now have a plan! ........

I'll try the (very) fine lees/batonage idea with one gallon and treat the rest normally. I have been meaning to make a Heath-Robinson style magnetic stirrer for some time now, this will prompt me to finally get it done.

Will let you know how I get on....

I'll also try a 6 bottle Beaverdale White Burgundy kit too as a comparison.

Cheers, John

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                    I would like to contradict that article.....NEVER leave the wine on the gross less for longer than is necessary, batonage is where the wine is left on the fine lees and the lees is stirred into the wine occasionally. it isnt a technique I would recommend unless you are wuite experienced, and it isn't one I would personally like to use wth a wne kit.

changing the yeast to a Lalvin D47 will enhance the kit a great deal.

hope that helps

regards
                    Bob
                    I henceforth present my featherless bottom to be thoroughly spanked.

Good spot there Mr Lockwood, et al.

Owl.

Comment

Working...
                    X