Need bottles, any ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need bottles, any ideas

Hi there, I'm new to this wine making gig and have rather jumped in with both feet. I have a 30 bottle Elderberry (from dried) a DOC Cab Merlot and a Reserve du chateau Barolo (after reading the reviews about Amazon bargain! )

The problem now will be bottles, does anyone have any ideas for getting some for free.

I'm sure a couple of years ago it would have been easy to wonder down the street on a 'recycling' night and pick up quite a few but since the Councils have all gone to those large wheely bins it has made it more difficult.

I have tried the local bottle bank but these have a very high hole and are so far from being full are of no use at the moment.

I really do not want to have to buy them if at all possible but living in a small village (Bolsover, Nr Chesterfield) there is no large bars or eateries to bother for bottles.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks
    SuzieQ

I think you have already covered most options. Cellar-Rat will no doubt post pictures of his weird-and-wonderful device for retrieving bottle from a bottle bank (I'm sure he must be a relative of Steptoe ).

Have you tried Freecycle? I got a load of bottles that way a couple of years ago. I asked for cork-type bottles but offered to take any screwtops too. I'd just take the screwtops to the bottle bank, which meant I was doing the donor a favour too.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Thanks goldseal, I have posted on freecycle and have had one reply with a couple of bottles! Not going to go far with all those kits on the go. However the lovely man did say he will keep saving them going forward so that was good of him.

If Cellar-Rat sees this I would be very interested to see his devices for retrieving bottles. I'm not adverse to a bit of bin diving but those pesky health and safety officers have made it very difficult to get anything back out of those bins. Especially if you are short!
      Thanks
      SuzieQ

Comment

Hang around the bottle bank and wait to help people? So many are screw tops though now.

You could collect the screw tops and use them for your first batches anyway.. Collecting cork tops as you go.

The eateries don't have to be big either, I got lots from a Chinese in our village when I was down south. So the staff remembered me, I took in a few bottles of plonk now and then that they shared with their evening meal!
        Last edited by Rich; 23-04-2012, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Oh crumbs, you don't want to read the thread I just closed on "stuff for sale/swap"

I have a deal going with 2 pubs in town. Collect once a week and getting about 12 bottles from each, soon adds up.
          Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
          Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

Originally posted by SuzieQ View Post
            I have tried the local bottle bank but these have a very high hole and are so far from being full are of no use at the moment.
            Suzie,

Make on of these. THey will reach the absolute bottom.

Bottle Grabber with bottle SM.JPG
            Bottle Grabber sm.JPG

The litter grabber will cost £2 - then wrap with rubber bands. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Extending-...item2a1beffb0e

Often found in pound shops or discount warehouses with a tool dept.

Bit of Health and safety advise. When operating in the lower part of the bin, be aware the bottles have dropped further - more chance of broken glass !! Wear gloves.

Got 12 newcastle brown bottles at the weekend with mine - lovely.
            Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 24-04-2012, 07:02 AM.
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
              Bit of Health and safety advise. When operating in the lower part of the bin, be aware the bottles have dropped further - more chance of broken glass !! Wear gloves.

Got 12 newcastle brown bottles at the weekend with mine - lovely.
              You might be lucky Brian and find an odd crown cap, why not stick a magnet on the end?
              Discount Home Brew Supplies
              Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
              Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
              National Wine Judge
              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

bu33er ! Why didn't I think of that.
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                X