Any recommendations for a BIG (Rhone style) red wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any recommendations for a BIG (Rhone style) red wine

I've been making wine kits for a while now and while there is some variation in flavour profile, none have approached a big tannic rhone wine. Most tend towards a softer style. Fortunately I like soft wines but occasionally also enjoy a ballsy Barolo or cote du rhone.

I have tried most of the beaverdale and kenridge classic ranges. Also a good selection of california connoisseur and 2 of the winexpert range (petit syrah and washington meritage). None of these has had heaps of body, though the latter 2 come close (still need more tannin IMHO).

The nearest I have come so far is a beaverdale kit (barolo) that I added 2L of elderberry juice (steamed) and extra oak to. This is smoothing out nicely after nearly 2 years.

Have any of you made an off the shelf kit wine that really delivers on body and tannin levels in the above styles? If so, I would love to hear about it.

Do I need a kit with skins as well as varietal juice?
    Do I need to wait for grapefest?

any help gatefully received.

Mark

http://markblades.com
    Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
    These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Originally posted by mcblades View Post
    Do I need to wait for grapefest?
    This would be my suggestion. Kits are fine, for the most part, but you will never produce a tannic monster red with one - even with a grape skins kit.

Grapes, on the other hand, allow you a great deal of control over the amount of tannin in the final product.
    Steve

Comment

I agree with Steve. Kits are set up to fit a mid range taste profile so they appeal to a larger consumer group. There is also the processing they go through to make them shelf stable that removes some of the tannins ETC needed to make a monster red. Two months ago wine maker magazine did a article on making a monster red there was no mention of a kit it was all done from the grape. Control of the sugars, tannins and ph levels are all necessary to produce one of these baby's.
      http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Grapefest will givve you the right raw materials, and also some red grape skins to add to kits to enhance them (they freeze too)
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Grapefest is the one. Depending on which varieties you choose, and berry size you might even want to consider bleeding them. It's a little bit out of balance at the moment but I have a lot of success with this last year.
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
          X