Finings problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finings problem

Started a Kenridge Ltd Edition Shiraz Viognier at the beginning of last month and followed instructions to the letter other than degassing. I vacuum rack which is usually sufficient to degass the wine prior to adding the finings which is what I did with this kit.

Tonight I vacuum racked off the finings/sediment and noticed two things, lots of foam and very little sediment.

I assume that the co2 still in the wine has stopped the finings doing their job properly and so my questions are,

1 will the finings still work or can I leave the wine to clear naturally?

2 is it ok to leave the finings and sediment in for an extended amount of time until the wine does fall clear?

Rob

its only the fine sediment and not the initial lumpy stuff, so you are ok, I would let it sit a few days and see what happens rob.

You didn't say buit im assuming the wine hasn't cleared?

(silly question, but asked for clarification......pun intended)

regards
    bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

To clarify the clarification situation, no it hasn't cleared.

My only concern was that the kit finings will often produce anything from .5 litre to 1 litre of sludge which is still in suspension and could produce off flavours if left for long enough?

Thanks

Rob

Comment

Yay!! It is finally clear. It has taken about a month but it has dropped clear. Note to self, next time degass properly!

Comment

Working...
        X