Size of secondary fermentor for a Kenridge Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size of secondary fermentor for a Kenridge Classic

My first big kit! (Kenridge California Connoisseur Barolo)

So I need a large fermentor. What do you all recommend from this selection?

(1) a 23 litre (5 UK gallon) fermenter produced from a special clear, stain odour and taste resistant PET (£17.75 http://www.hopshopuk.com/products/vi...e-carboy-pet);

(2) an Italian made 23 litre capacity straight sided glass carboy (£32.99 http://www.hopshopuk.com/products/vi...-sided-glass); or

(3) Better Bottle Fermenter 22.7l Plain (£29.50 http://www.hopshopuk.com/products/vi...er-22-7l-plain)

---

The instructions say to dilute the concetrate to 23 litres and recommend not topping up following racking from both (a) the primary fermentor to carboy and (b) the post-fermentation carboy to carboy racking.

I suppose that any air gap in the carboy for the secondary fermentation is not so important (from an oxidisation point of view).

Also, given that the instructions suggest bottling after day 28 (or so) I suppose that an air gap in the second carboy isn't going to be a great problem either.

But if I want to bulk age the wine (which I probably will) then I really need a slightly smaller carboy.

QU: Starting with 23ltrs in the primary and then two rackings... how much wine am I likely to be left with?

I already have a 19.5 litre plastic fermentor, but it's not really suitable for storage, only fermentation.

How have others worked this one out?

I also have a larger 25 ltr glass fermentor - I could start in this one and then rack to a new 23ltr (or the better bottle 22.7 ltr).

Suggestions and advice welcome
    Steven

Devon

I would go for (1) or (3). I have 2 and 8 of these respectively (and 4 glass carboys).

Both PET carboys are 22.7 litres, and I find that they are the ideal size for 5 gal kits.

The glass carboy is around 23.5 litres. You'll need to top-up more.

The kit instructions assume you'll be bottling at the earliest opportunity. If you are like me, you'll want to age it a while in the carboy, and for this you'll need it topped-up.

From a safety point of view, I think it's No Contest. Both PET carboys are very light and very strong, and even bounce when empty . Glass carboys are much heavier and you run the risk of serious injury if one breaks on you. I regularly carry ful Better Bottles around, but moving a fulll glass carboy is an operation which takes thought, and is done as a last resort.

Personally I prefer the Better Bottles, but they have rocketed in price over the last couple of years. I haven't had any problems with the non-BBs (1) - they are made from a slightly thicker material, and are smooth-sided, making them slightly easier to clean.

I would probably invest in a non-BB (1), and with the money saved, buy one of these:

- use the 33l bucket for primary, then rack to the PET carboy when the instructions tell you.

(and you have one 33l bucket ready for Grapefest )

EDIT: Because you are making a wine without fruit solids of any kind, you shouldn't get a lot of loss when racking. These kits are designed to be topped-up, so I would start at 23 litres, and you should find you need minimal topping-up on subsequent rackings.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

You’ve sort of said this so while the wine is fermenting it produces co2 which as you know will protect it from the air. So a 25ltr container of any type will do one that allows easy addition of chemicals and stirring with a wide neck or lid. Once fermentation has stopped and you’ve degasses and added finings etc then this is when you need to get it into a container with just a small air gap. I use 23ltr glass ( I’m old and it’s a bit old fashioned and there’s no kids about) However many here swear by Better Bottle and they’re a lot safer and robust. After your final racking and filtering topping up is always an issue. I use a Beaverdale merlot for reds and wine number one for whites. If I’ve not been good with the racking and it’s going to take more than 3 bottles to top up I’ll just bottle it straight away. Bulk aging is great as it stops you drinking it!!!
      I’ve got this kit in bottles 6 months old now and it’s just starting to come good. Nice plumb and berry tastes. Hope you like it
      Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

Comment

Thanks for this guys - there's nothing better than first hand experience.

About the 33ltr bucket - that's a good idea.

I already have two 5 gal buckets, but they don't really leave much room for maneuver once there is 23 ltrs inside...
        Steven

Devon

Comment

Working...
        X