Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: SG reading still the same

Hi All

I'm having a go at my first batch of plum wine, using a Youngs kit.
    The instructions state that fermentation should take between 7-21 days, and is signified by an end SG of 1000 approx.
    I've taken two SG readings so far, both at 1010, approx a week apart and there's no change between the two. Does this mean fermentation has stalled? It did get cooler in the room. Or have i done something wrong.
    How do i kickstart it again?
    Any help much appreciated.
    Thanks
    wendle

try putting it somwhere a bit warmer for now see how it goes
    mark
    "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

and if that does nothing read this http://www.winesathome.net/forum/sho...ighlight=stuck
      lots of info on sticking ferments
      mark
      "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

Stuck at SG 1.010 might be very difficult to restart. The yeast may have reached it's alcohol tolerance threshold. Stir the bajeebees out of it and get it warmed up. T'would be my first course of action.
        REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

I agree with Hippie.

You may be better off with a slightly sweeter wine. Many fruit wines do better when sweeter.

Pat

Comment

...and so the agreeing reciprocates. When you stabilize, (no need to rush), be sure and use sorbate along with the sulphite.
            REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Thanks all. Have moved it into the conservatory, and will give it a damn good jiggle around later. Might try a heater thingy that i inherited - goes into the demijohn.

Originally posted by P cuthbert

You may be better off with a slightly sweeter wine. Many fruit wines do better when sweeter.
              By this do you mean that, if i can't get fermentation to start again and get the SG lower, i can settle for the higher SG with the result that the wine will be sweeter? If so, i'm happy with that. Prefer a slightly sweeter one anyway.

Comment

that is correct indeed mr(s)wendle
                mark
                "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

As long as the wine is stabilised to prevent fermentation re-starting in the bottle.
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                  X