wine not clearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wine not clearing

hi guys, advise needed once again...I have made 2 beaverdale 5 gallon wines..1 rose ..1 merlot. Ive added the finings over 2 weeks ago and neither wine has even begun to clear. The only thing ive done differently this time round is to use a cordless drill and attachment to de gas the wines prior to finings...any thoughts...cheers

The first thing I'd do would be to draw off maybe 300 - 400ml into a sanitised wine bottle, put my thumb over the end, and shake. This will tell you whether the wine was in fact degassed fully. A little esacpe of gas is OK, but any more and I'd degas again.

It might be obvious, but are you sure fermentation had actually finished before you degassed and stabilised the wine?
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

yes the wine had fully fermented....after adding finings should the wine be moved to a cooler location, or is it best to leave it at 20"c.
      Having read the instructions again, it says to gently stir in the finings, but i gave it a quick blast with the cordless; might this be the reason. Should I just leave it alone, and it will eventually clear up on its own.

Comment

I'd leave it at 20"c for a little while after adding the finnings. Then cool for a while.

It will eventually clear on it's own. I hardly ever add finnings to kits, but leave them to clear on their own. (No real reason for it, apart from laziness)

Did you try Goldseal's test, to see if it was fully degassed?

Comment

yes i did try the test, and yes deffo fully de-gassed. So no need to panic then! will leave it alone, and see what happens in the next few weeks...thanks for your help guys

Comment

Working...
          X