First 6 bottle kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First 6 bottle kit

Hi all this is first post on site. I'm close to racking my first wine kit and I've been reading when siphoning do not suck on tube. What I have is a racking tube with hose and no auto siphon so how do I get started.

Originally posted by keithboylan View Post
    Hi all this is first post on site. I'm close to racking my first wine kit and I've been reading when siphoning do not suck on tube. What I have is a racking tube with hose and no auto siphon so how do I get started.
    I normally just suck on the tube to start mine, but if you can find something to clamp the hose properly (strong bull dog clip, maybe a bag closing clip if it'll clamp the hose shut, maybe a pair of molegrips), you can suck on the hose, clamp it shut, dip the end in sanitiser, then put it in the bottle or DJ and open whatever it's clamped with.

Or something like using a sanitised turkey baster to suck up some wine and put it in a sanitised small jug, then put the siphon into the bit that you're racking from, then carefully use the jug to fill the siphon hose and as soon as it's full you can put your thumb over the end of the pipe, which holds the liquid (or most of it) while you direct it to the bottle/DJ that your racking too - gravity will just pull it down the tube into the DJ/bottle and then it pulls from the top DJ running via gravity......
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Nah, just suck it. Never lost a batch yet. Worry about perfecting things when you know you have something to worry about...

Comment

This sounds like the 'use a BIC pen body' idea again. Just suck it. You will be fine.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Ok a follow on for first kit it is bottled and corked I had a taste and it to me how can I explain is like a cheap table wine watery. The kit was a Youngs Definitive Cabernet Sauvignon I was not expecting much from this kit just wanted to try a cheap one first time. Is my results what would be expected from this kit. Could somebody recommend a nice 6 bottle kit to try next my favourite wine is Rioja Sangre de Torro for everyday and for a treat Marques de Riscal. I have a 30 bottle California Connoisseur Cabernet Sauvignon but holding till I do a couple of smaller batches and improve.

Cheers
          Keith

Comment

The wine will likely improve with a bit of age, but you arent going to get really full bodied wine from the low end kits, as the grape juice contained in htem is very small. quaffable wine yes, quality, no.

The beaverdale Rioja or Barolo 6 bottle kits might be a good one to try

regards
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

To reply to your question of how to start a syphon, here is how I do it: Firstly, syphon tube into steriliser and then force washed from tap. My tubes have a small valve stuffed in the end so I close this off while flushing, so the pipe is left completely full of water. I then insert pipe into bucket, lower valve below bucket level and turn on valve. When tube is clear of water, I may well remove the valve from the pipe to speed the syphon rate. Hope that helps as yet another alternative to those used by all and sundry.

Comment

Hmm - this has really got me thinking..

Is the water cleaner than the steriliser ?
                How clean is the tip of your tap or are you contaminating the siphon hose all over again ?
                How are you turning on the valve underwater? with your hands? Have they been sterilised?
                Removing the valve - what about the oxidation that is causing?

.... I'll get my coat
                Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 15-01-2013, 12:29 PM. Reason: can't spell when I am thinking
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

lol

I used to be paranoid about mouth etc coming into contact and possible spoilage.....dont worry a jot any more

I like to start the syphon with my mouth and get a schlook of the wine ... nom nom...one of the benefits of racking

but each to their own

regards
                  Bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                    The wine will likely improve with a bit of age.
                    The beaverdale Rioja or Barolo 6 bottle kits might be a good one to try

regards
                    Bob
                    Spot on Bob. I made a Beaverdale Rioja kit last year. 30 bottle kit for 35 quid ( approx ). Gave half away and kept 14 for me. Mine got to 9 months old and I was really chuffed at how it turned out. Very pleased to show it off to friends and family but gutted when it got finished!!
                    i've Just finished my 30 bottle Barolo kit which I hope to keep for a couple of years.

Comment

Response to cellar rat:

Is the water cleaner than the steriliser ?

Yes, definitely less solids! May not be as sterile but has been chlorinated.

How clean is the tip of your tap or are you contaminating the siphon hose all over again ?

Doesn't touch the tap. Use of gravity and water pressure to provide the force. Hopefully there are only dead microbes inside or outside the syphon tube.

How are you turning on the valve underwater? with your hands? Have they been sterilised?

No savvy. Valve is on the oultet end of the syphon pipe!

Removing the valve - what about the oxidation that is causing?

It's not. I'm clever? I pinch the tube to stop the flow and then just pull out the valve. Simples. No chemicals, no oxidation, no bother. Only then is the syphon tube directed into the receiving vessel.

All operations done strictly according to the KISS principle.

.... I'll get my coat

Time to walk the dogs?

There, all the answers to your musings. Didn't think I would need to explain everything in that amount of detail for someone with 2880 posts. You're not, by any chance, from Newborough?

Hope this clears up any misconceptions on bothe your, and the OP's, part.

Comment

excellent
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

So just a mild TCA risk then that's fine. just teasing.

Originally posted by oliver90owner View Post
                          You're not, by any chance, from Newborough?
                          .. funny you should say that! I am not, but I am only just up the road.

I'm going to go now before this starts to resemble match.com

Comment

Working...
                          X