Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White rioja kit recomendation

HI

SWMBO has decreed that white rioja is to be my next hurdle. I am thinking that a white burgundy out of Bill Smiths award winning wines might fool her. But...

Has anyone made a white rioja kit or simlar that blew their socks off (in a good way!).

If so, I am all ears.

thanks

Mark

http://markblades.com
    Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
    These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

I did the Beaverdale White burgundy using Lalvin D47 yeast and had very good results (after 6 months in the bottle) Haven't come across white rioja kit. Nearest thing that comes to mind would be the Kenridge classic Viognier very similar bold for a white but with a nice subtle back taste of honey which a white Rioja wouldn't have.
    Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

Comment

Um, isn't Rioja a fairly mediocre wine that's been very heavily oaked to give it a distinctive flavour which we are all (me included) moving towards because the quality of wine we can get for £5/bt is so poor we need the mask of the oak to take away the sharpness of the wine?

That reads really controversial - it's not meant to be - I have recently been to a Rioja-only tasting and I know they pride themselves in their stuff. But I harbour a suspicion that I'm on the right track.

So, if you buy-in to my concept - get a halfway decent Sauv Bl and add a lot of oak. As long as you steer clear of the distinctive whites (like viognier or pingo) or the floral ones - I bet it works.
      Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
      Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

Having bought a couple of white riojas recently to try, I am in agreement with lePLot. Have now started a kenridge chardonaay and will overoak it.

ta

MArk

http://markblades.com
        Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
        These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

... and me !!

.. and two friends I know!
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
          X