Kit against the real thing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kit against the real thing???

I've just done a Wilko Elderflower wine kit...the first kit for wine in years. I brew AG beer most the time, but want to get back into doing more wine. I've done a couple of WGJ and they turned out very moorish

So when we made a visit to our local Wilko's to get a few bits & bobs for the garden I picked up the kit. So this morning as we had to go to collect a load of rhubarb (for the 2nd 25 liters this year) we stopped and collected a black bin bag half full of fresh elderberry flowers. Now the test is to do a DJ of the real thing and see how it squares up to the kit.

The reason for collecting so many flower heads is to freeze what we don't use for later on and maybe do another batch.

Well fruit usually freezes well, but how you'd get on with the volatile aromatics of elder flowers is anyones guess.

I'd have thought you'd likely have greater success by making cordial instead, then using it as a flavour enhancer or for back sweetening........

It does seem that the best results are obtained from the real thing, but that equally that's not to say that kits dont produce some damn fine results......it does seem that the more you pay for a kit, the better the results.....
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

do you need a recipe for elderflower wine?
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I'm about to strat some elderflower champagne. Do I need to destalk everything so only the flowers go in? I was going to make a high acid lower alcohol WN1 and add the flowers at 1020 til dry. Sound OK?

http://markblades.com
        Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
        These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Best way to remove flowers from the stalks is to put the lot into a bin bag and leave for 24 hours. Give the bag a really good shake for a few minutes and you will find the majority of flowers have separated from the heads. Pour the lot out and discard the stalks.

Comment

Thanks Rob, will do

http://markblades.com
            Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
            These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
              do you need a recipe for elderflower wine?
              Never say no I say.....so yes please Looks like I'll make it home tonight ok so want to get it in the bucket.

Comment

Best way is wine no 1 and when fermented to dry add about a teaspoon of elderflowers (fresh not dried) leave it a few days and rack off, will make a lovely nose as the alcohol will remove the perfume

always smell the elderflowers and dont use ones that arent floral smelling (some have a faint cat pee aroma, they arent any good for winemaking)

regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Bob, this is a much better idea than the traditional recipe I have.
                  Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                  X