Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Batch On The Go

Hi Guys

Kit arrived this morning and started my first batch of Kenridge sauvignon Blanc tonight (couldn't wait). Quick question, I added the oak chips as instructed which ended up a bit lumpy even after a thorough good mixing and were left floating on the top and left a scum line. Is this Normal and should i worry about it? Everything else went rather well. I'm assuming the Oak Chips will eventually sink. I made sure everything was sterilised before even going anywhere near the wine. The missus said she wished i would get this excited about decorating. While im on sterilisation how long does VWP last made up? I poured what was left over in a gallon container incase i could reuse.

Will keep you updated on my first experience of wine making. My initial SG was 1.082 and bang on 24 degrees. Fingers crossed this turns out as expected.

Jon
    Last edited by Pords; 26-06-2013, 07:55 PM.

I wouldn't hang onto the VWP. It's a chlorine based steriliser (judging by its smell) so will break down over time and lose effectiveness.

eg. 4 NaClO + 2 H
    2O → 4 Na+ + 4 OH- + 2 Cl2 + O2

I wouldn't risk it. Also, make sure whatever you sterilise with it gets a good rinse out before you add must etc..

re the oak I normally sprinkle in a fine layer over the surface of the bucket before whisking in with a paddle. You don't mention if yours is in a bucket or a dj (ie is it a 1gal or 5gal kit).

If it's a 1 gal kit and you made it up in a DJ then I would keep a v close eye on it. As the yeast get's going CO2 will nucleate on the oak dust and lift it up into the neck. This can then lead to a wine volcano as the resulting pressure is vented through the airlock (been there and got the earfull from SWMBO!). In a bucket the oak lumps will break up and sort itself out over the next week or so.

It's a good kit that, made it many times and have yet to allow it to get to maturity before it's all drunk. If you can, hide half a dozen bottles at the back of the garage and forget about them for a year. You will be pleasantly surprised.

http://markblades.com
    Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
    These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Thanks Mark

Its a 5 Gallon Kit (Bucket). Yeast still sitting on the top of the oak chips. Kit Instructions says not to stir in so will leave alone for a day or so. I did do some research on the web regarding VWP and came to the same conclusion hence down the sink. Only thing i might of done wrong was not to fill the fermenter bucket right up when sterilizing. I made sure everything got a good soaking and swirled it around a good few times before rinsing. I also left all the other bits in to soak prior. But reading up on web its says to fill the bucket right up and leave for 5 - 10 Minutes contact time. Hopefully I havent dropped my first clanger.

Comment

Not much good to you for this batch....
        but, when im adding oak i normally pop the chips/dust/into a mug and pour on some warm water and make an oak tea....it mixes better

but i really wouldnt worry for this batch.

i would however give the must a gentle stir to make sure the yeasties are in the liquid part of the must

regards
        bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I very much doubt if you have. Making up 5 gals of vwp must have cost a fortune. When I have used it I make up a gallon or so and give the vessel a good scrubbing with it. Then rinse and rinse again with tap water. TBH I don't use the stuff much at all anymore, although if I was resurrecting some really grubby DJ's I might give it a go. I am sure your wine will be fine. Also, I pitch the yeast on the whisked up must and leave well alone. It'll be going like a good'un in a day or so.

Instead for the past couple of years I have been giving my DJ's and buckets a good wash out with washing up liquid (the one that leaves your hands nice and soft ) then rinse out thoroughly and spray in metabisulphite solution (10% in water with dash of citric acid). Then lid on and it'll stay sanitised until you need it again. When you need to use it, rinse out with water and you are away.

also, what he said....
          Last edited by mcblades; 26-06-2013, 09:32 PM. Reason: all hail the bob

http://markblades.com
          Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
          These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

lol

all hail eh?
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks for the tip Bob duly noted and filed for next time

Comment

Had a peek and it looks like theres some serious action going on under the lid which is good. Room temperature constant 72.5 during the day, and drops of slightly in the evening to about 69 which i think is ok

Can see this is going to be a very long 4 weeks

Already looking into which kit to do next and might pop down to the home brew shop in Faversham tomorrow morning to see whats on offer.

Thanks also guys for speedy responses to my threads.

Jon

Comment

Working...
                X