Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone tried one of these grape concentrate kits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried one of these grape concentrate kits?

I've come across this supplier of grape concentrate:

Stunning Home Brewed Beer, Wine & Ciders direct. The best quality at the best prices.

and was thinking of having a crack at the Pinot Grigio PG kit thingy. Has anyone tried one of these before? As a poor student I don't want to spend £30 on something that people think isn't all that.
    Feel the Zin

I haven't made any of these, and probably wouldn't cause I'm in Canada. The thing that bothered me about the linked page was the title "10 day sugar inclusive wines". I'm not in favour of rushing a wine (ie prefer 90+ days to 10 days), and I'm wondering what "sugar inclusive" means. It would be interesting if somebody could post the ingredient list.

Good luck, Steve
    the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
    "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

I cannot speak for the kit, but I can speak for Hampstead - I have had a couple of dealings with them and they do seem a good crowd. They are not just a shop they also have their own brewery.

Chris one of the chaps there is very very helpful - perhaps give him a call and try and understand a bit more about the kit.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

They are a grape concentrate kit, labelled with the store logos. A lot of home brew stores package this way. (10 days is not a reasonable time frame, use your hydrometer not the number of days....your hydrometer is your friend!)

They describe it as sugar inclusive, when in reality it should read no sugar additions needed (some cheapo kits need extra sugar)

They will make reasonable quaffing wine, depends on what you want, it will taste OK and have the required effect

for an extra £15 you can get a beaverdale kit, and the quality there is far superior, especially if you add a quality yeast

regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. After getting my big buckets down from the loft it appears that they need to be replaced so I won't be brewing any 30 bottle wine any time soon
          On another forum they've recommended sticking with Beaverdale too so once I've replaced the buckets I'll probably, eventually, go for a beaverdale Sauvignon Blanc anyway. Once I've paid the postage, a Beaverdale kit from my local HBS would be the same price anyhow.
          Feel the Zin

Comment

Working...
          X