California Connoisseur kit method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Connoisseur kit method

I am wondering why the instructions for the CC kits say to ferment the kit for 7 days, then rack off, and then allow to ferment for another 12 days. I have been on their website, but nowhere does it say why you do this. Can you not just leave the kit to ferment out, as with most wines, and then rack off? I work away, and I am not always around to do this. The wines are always wonderful, so it this step important, or is it just something else to add to my ever-growing To-do list when I get home?

I wouldn't agree with 'most wines'.

Racking around 1.010 (go by SG, not time), is usually done to get the wine off the solids which may have dropped out of the must and are now sitting in the bottom of the fermenter, looking for an excuse to spoil. It is also desireable to leave a headspace early in fermentation (for oxygenation and to allow for foaming), but usually desireable to have little or no headspace later on when the fermentation calms down.

It it was me, and it was a white kit (with not much in the way of solids in the must) I would probably let it ferment out without racking. I would ferment in a carboy, DJ or Better Bottle, not a bucket. I would leave lots of headspace to start with. I would try to be around for days 3 - 5(ish), when the initial fermentation was calming down, and I would top up as much as possible at that point (carefully - beware the Wine Volcano).

I have a similar problem with work - it can get a bit stressful!
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
      I would try to be around for days 3 - 5(ish)
      Erm...you mean, PLAN things and be organised???

Comment

I try to do that, but sometimes the wine has its own agenda
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
          I try to do that, but sometimes the wine has its own agenda
          ..so do customers!!
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
          X