Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topping up wine kits

Hi,

When you're making a std 1 gallon kit, the volume is nowhere near the neck by the time you want to store it. What do you top up with?

Originally posted by Aid View Post
    Hi,

When you're making a std 1 gallon kit, the volume is nowhere near the neck by the time you want to store it. What do you top up with?
    Just top up with a similar wine... and never water.
    Steve

Comment

Or make a little extra in primary and store in a small pet bottle, cap allowing to breath of course. I f your just an odd inch or so below the neck your probably ok and don't have to worry, but too much will cause your wine to oxidise.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

what if you dont have similar wine? I've got one sauvingnon blanc (Beaverdale) near completion and no finished wines to mix with it...

Comment

what if you dont have similar wine? I've got one sauvingnon blanc (Beaverdale) near completion and no finished wines to mix with it...
          I'm presuming your d/j is really low Aid, then two things I can think of is:

A. Top up with any wine you have, such a small amount shouldn't make too much difference, provided it's not dominent in a particular flavour.

B. Buy a bottle of the same from the shop and top up with that enjoying the rest and thinking " I'll make some additional for top up next time "

c. If your d/j is so low you think it will oxidise then as a last resort top it up with cooled boiled water, as you will be aware the taste will be diluted.
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I had a pear wine that was a bit low so I topped that up with Sauvignon Blanc, I think it actually made it better.

The "Fruity Karl" twins are now in secondary, they were low so I topped up with more apple juice.
            National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
              I had a pear wine that was a bit low so I topped that up with Sauvignon Blanc, I think it actually made it better.

The "Fruity Karl" twins are now in secondary, they were low so I topped up with more apple juice.
              Blending can produce some awesome wines, some give what others lack
              National Wine Judge
              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

There is always the "water displacement method".... Use clean sanitized marbles to raise the level of your must/wine to the desired level... this way no diluting with water is required OR top up wines.

JC
                Last edited by jcnoren; 24-08-2007, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Hi,

Aid - my suggestion is to have a couple other glass jugs at hand - one at the half gallon size and another at the quarter gallon size. These jugs work well if they have screw tops so you can screw a air lock to them or you will have to fine ones with a size that fits a rubber bung.

Once you have these various sizes of containers you can always make a little more than the 1 gallon batch in the primary fermenter - then use the extra to fill the smaller bottles and use that for your top-up.

Your top up can always be a wine from the store of similar quality; or hec if it is that small amount in a one gallon jug use some good clean water - a small amount of water will make negible difference.

I am a great fan of blending fruits and berries. In many cases the blending of different fruits (malic-citric) enhances the overall wine process. Look at many of the cult wines many are blends with various grape varitals. Cheers DAW

Comment

thanks for the tips guys. I'll amend my processes.

The main problem is that when you follow the kit instructions, it's all done in-demijohn and they tell you to fill up to the 4 1/2 litre mark or a just over the shoulder. By the end of fermentation, you've got potentially a thick layer lees and after racking, you're back under the shoulder...

BTW, I thought the sterile marbles idea was superb thinking

Comment

Working...
                    X