X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bump!

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
    Not strictly on-topic, but ....

I have quite a lot of Christmas Pudding based wine on the go - I still have a gallon of this recipe to bottle (that's the one I brought to Grapefest), plus 1 1/2 gals of Wine No.4 (very similar), and 1 gal of a Wine No.4 2nd run.

Now, that's a LOT of dessert wine

I thought about experimenting with some of it. The idea was to sweeten some quite a lot (1.030 - 1.040) and add some brandy, to make some sort of Christmassy concoction.

Has anyone tried anything like this? Suggestions? Comments?
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
      I didn't think it was reading that made you boys go blind...
      Ive been going blind from an early age about 12years old me thinks mind you the oh says that ive been going deaf for years or is that just trained deafness

Comment

Not strictly on-topic, but ....

I have quite a lot of Christmas Pudding based wine on the go - I still have a gallon of this recipe to bottle (that's the one I brought to Grapefest), plus 1 1/2 gals of Wine No.4 (very similar), and 1 gal of a Wine No.4 2nd run.

Now, that's a LOT of dessert wine

I thought about experimenting with some of it. The idea was to sweeten some quite a lot (1.030 - 1.040) and add some brandy, to make some sort of Christmassy concoction.

Has anyone tried anything like this? Suggestions? Comments?
        Haven't tried it but if I were going to give it a go I would stick a couple of bottles of wine in a dj, add the brandy then sweeten to taste. Might be best to add the brandy to taste as well.
        National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Well, it's done.

I bottled my Wine No.4 2nd run today, sweetened to 1.020 with sugar. This was basically almost-free - I just added sugar and water to the lees from the first run.

Before sweetening it tasted awful, but sugar transforms it. It's just a lighter version of the original Wine No.4

I took 1/3 of the wine, added Brandy and more sugar to taste (sorry, no measurements for you). VERY nice . It has just enough Brandy to give it a bit of alcoholic bite, and enough extra sugar to take any sharpness out of it. HIGHLY recommended.
          Pete the Instructor

Comment

Glad to hear something turned out right for you. Will this concoction last untill Christmas?

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Comment

Well, I have a gallon of it, so it should do

I don't normally drink this sort of thing - it's great in small quantities.
              Pete the Instructor

Comment

I bottled my Xmas pud wine a few weeks ago and now wish I had waited a bit longer. It's thrown quite a bit of sediment and gone hazy, back into dj's tomorrow I suppose.

Comment

Don'tcha just hate it when that happens? It happened to me a few weeks ago with some spiced rhubarb,

I only noticed it because there was a half bottle and it looked untidy in the rack. When I opened it it more or less exploded, so yes, do get it back in the DJ asap, flying glass can be lethal.
                  Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
                    I bottled my Xmas pud wine a few weeks ago and now wish I had waited a bit longer. It's thrown quite a bit of sediment and gone hazy, back into dj's tomorrow I suppose.
                    Looser, use yer filter !!!
                    Discount Home Brew Supplies
                    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

It was filtered, looks like it's getting filtered again.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
                        It was filtered, looks like it's getting filtered again.
                        Yeah, so was my rhubarb. However, I didn't think filtering had the same effect as stabilising????
                        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I took a fair selection of wines to the Brother in laws house yesterday, he had 12 people round for dinner. The last cork I pulled was the Christmas pud wine. Everyone thought it was great, one person even said that it was the best wine they have ever had (get a life ). I thought it lacked sweetness, out came the hydrometer and it weighed in at 1.010. I will keep some as is and sweeten some up for comps, fab stuff!

Comment

Personally, I think I'll wait a couple of days and then see if I can track down any reduced price crimbo pud's.

As I've been thinking of making some of this for a while, but as I've been a bit on the busy side......hence the time off over crimbo will at least, be used productively - in (hopefully) obtaining some more fermentables

regards

JtFB
                            Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

time to resurrect this thread, I think

A few months ago, when I bottled the first DJ, I struggled to get above 1.020 without getting a really sickly sweet wine. Apparently it needs to be 1.030+ for comps.

The key is acid. Rich brought some dessert stuff around a while ago (sorry, I can't remember exactly what). His was sweeter but had an acidic bite too.

So, today I bottled the rest of my Christmas Pudding. I just brought the SG up with sugar, and each time it got a bit sickly I added some acid. I found citric worked best (probably complemented the fruit).

I also made some of my Christmas Liqueur - sweetened 3 litres of this stuff to around 1.040, then added just enough Brandy to take the edge of the sugar - about 360ml.
                              Pete the Instructor

Comment

time to resurrect this thread, I think

A few months ago, when I bottled the first DJ, I struggled to get above 1.020 without getting a really sickly sweet wine. Apparently it needs to be 1.030+ for comps.

The key is acid. Rich brought some dessert stuff around a while ago (sorry, I can't remember exactly what). His was sweeter but had an acidic bite too.

So, today I bottled the rest of my Christmas Pudding. I just brought the SG up with sugar, and each time it got a bit sickly I added some acid. I found citric worked best (probably complemented the fruit).

I also made some of my Christmas Liqueur - sweetened 3 litres of this stuff to around 1.040, then added just enough Brandy to take the edge of the sugar - about 360ml.
                                That sounds like it's gonna be as sweet as the commercial meads I posted about last year Pete.......

regards

JtFB
                                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                                X